Headlights will not turn off

jimbart

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 classic 05
Came in from a ride and the key was hard to remove. Finally got it out of there and the headlights were still on! Disconnected the battery to get them to turn off. I assume this is the ignition switch issue.

Question: Can I reconnect the battery and ride (45 min.) to the dealer safely to get it fixed? If not I would really appreciate any suggestions from the collective wisdom might have about what to do next.

Oh and yes I will look into putting in a relay kit which I should have done a while ago.

Jim in SC

Had the same problem about 6 mths ago, solder on the bottom of switch had melted and joined power wire to headlight wire so as to be live and not turn off. Had to get to switch out and re solder switch. Bought switch relocation kit so if happened again one would get access easy. Should do the relay thingy so as it dosen't, but have been known not to be that smart.:confused:

Had the same problem about 6 mths ago, solder on the bottom of switch had melted and joined power wire to headlight wire so as to be live and not turn off. Had to get to switch out and re solder switch. Bought switch relocation kit so if happened again one would get access easy. Should do the relay thingy so as it dosen't, but have been known not to be that smart.:confused:

..get the relay kit from eastern beaver....it's plug and play..

Relay Kit is even more important with the ignition relocation kit. You're adding conductor length, hence, more amperage required to overcome the increase resistance of the additional wire. More likely to overload the switch.

Thanks Everybody!
I bought the bike used with the switch relocation already done. So I guess I better get the relay kit ASAP, I also might just poke around in there and see what I see. Thanks again.

Ignition switch is bad, had this happen on my 05. Just pull the 20 amp fuse in the fuse box until you get it sorted out
Also, consider going with a keyless ignition, idk's little invention.

Ignition switch is bad, had this happen on my 05. Just pull the 20 amp fuse in the fuse box until you get it sorted out
Also, consider going with a keyless ignition, idk's little invention.

Yep, ignition switch...here's my little fix 'til I was able to replace mine...a little toggle switch, some wire & spade-type wire connectors and I was on my way.

I still like my digital remote keyless ignition - for les then $40.00. :) It seems to solve all the problems and is IMHO, cool.

Oh, yeah, I like that idea, too...it's just that to get him going immediately, use a toggle switch, then install your keyless wonder :)

Back