hard front suspension after fork oil change

Zen2osho

.040 Over
Ride
Triumph rocket 3 Roadstar
After changing in the front forks (both) and took the bike for a ride?the suspension is harder than before and the handlebar bounces small when the bike enters potholes??

Measured 667 ml as mentioned in the manual and poured d oil . Will the suspension get soft on riding few miles ????

Did the spring part etc from the front top?

Loosened the bolt on the bottom of the fork drained the oil? Filled oil from the bottom hole only.Fitted the oil seal , dust seal and retainer.

Is it ok or the springs etc nèed to be removed for the oil change??

Inputs pls??

Sounds like you've got too much oil in them . Yes, springs ect need to be removed to do the job correctly.

Sounds like you've got too much oil in them . Yes, springs ect need to be removed to do the job correctly.

I thought so, the stupid mechanic advised me the short cut. can i reuse the oil seals?? I imported two original OEM ones and two from after market?

Suggestions please.

As long as you don't damage the seals they should be re-usable. However, for the cost I would say have some replacements on hand when you disassemble

I have two after market seals with me, which i brought as spares.

Its surprising though , how extra oil remained in the shocks. The left one was leaking and i measured approx 667 ml and poured into it. And again a surprise that the height of the oil from the bottom end was 89mm. I checked it with a vernier caliper.

when i opened the right one, no leakage was there and seals intact, i measured the oil to be at the same depth as 89mm before draining the oil and replacing it.

Iam not sure if the depth of oil measurement is from the same reference as the manual???

Motul 5w??

:(:(:(

This rework is a pain:banghead:

Earlier i dont realise at all when the bike crosses a pothole, now the handlebar bouncing even for a small pothole is a headache and after few beers and riding i can leave the bars too:roll::laugh:

You don't have to seperate the two parts of the fork to change the oil,so the seals should be ok.

Back