sixpack

Supercharged
06 R3, riding yesterday, slowed down for a turn, engaged the clutch and the bike shut off,hit start button and restarted and was good the rest of the day:-? s this something I should be concerned about ??? anyone??:grin:

06 R3, riding yesterday, slowed down for a turn, engaged the clutch and the bike shut off,hit start button and restarted and was good the rest of the day:-? s this something I should be concerned about ??? anyone??:grin:

I'm thinking you may have a short developing in the key/ignition switch. Mine was running fine, then dead. Depending on the angle of the handle bars, it would run or not run. As the bars turned, it was connecting and disconnecting the faulty wire.

I replaced the unit and then relocated it to beneath the seat so that it never moves, regardless of what the bike is doing.

EDIT: Good question above. Did it stall, but have power, or did it die, and the gauges went off? If they went off, or clicked or flickered, that points to a faulty ignition switch.

You cruised around a corner with the clutch in?? or it stalled/cut out on the slow down/ downchange?

stalled when I engaged clutch to downshift prior to turn. :)

Tach went to zero, hit starter and all was well, in traffic, not too much time to analize. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it actually happen as the clutch was disengaged and bike still straight or as the handlebars turned? That's exactly how my defective Ignition Switch acted - hit me on a turn in to a gas station then ran fine the rest of the day; as it got more frequent, I could predictably kill the bike with a hard left turn. Something else to try. :pullhairout:

Only done it once? or do you often notice low revs at idle when engine warm? ( hot idle issue)

only did it once, revs seem ok, but I do have a skip, but I still can't get tuneboy to work to check throttle balance, I removed some crap from the crank angle sensor and it helped some. :) actually the revs are somewhat eractic when engine is hot???

Did it actually happen as the clutch was disengaged and bike still straight or as the handlebars turned? That's exactly how my defective Ignition Switch acted - hit me on a turn in to a gas station then ran fine the rest of the day; as it got more frequent, I could predictably kill the bike with a hard left turn. Something else to try. :pullhairout:

the bars were straight ??

only did it once, revs seem ok, but I do have a skip, but I still can't get tuneboy to work to check throttle balance, I removed some crap from the crank angle sensor and it helped some. :) actually the revs are somewhat eractic when engine is hot???

Did it actually happen as the clutch was disengaged and bike still straight or as the handlebars turned? That's exactly how my defective Ignition Switch acted - hit me on a turn in to a gas station then ran fine the rest of the day; as it got more frequent, I could predictably kill the bike with a hard left turn. Something else to try.

Sounds like you need to go thru a few things.... TPS can cause erratic idle ( and hot stalls) Ever replaced the TPS??if no, try that if yes then Captain Rich's comment above.. worth going thru the ignition switch threads & checking yours... Problems with tuneboy? whats happenning when you try to use it?

Back