Gremlins in the electrickery.

Seanii Plunkett

.060 Over
Ride
2010 Triumph Roocket 3 Roadster with sidecar.
Hi all,
To try and keep it brief: the Rocket began running rough as guts on a ride today after a fuel stop and I had to nurse it the 40km home. The fuel gauge started showing empty though it was full and then the neutral light started showing in any and all gears. I got her home and had a coffee then lifted the tank, changed the plugs in case it was water in the fuel or something similar then checked all the connectors and battery terminals etc and cleaned things up. Took it for another ride and after about a km I noticed the fuel gauge was working again. Then after about another km the neutral light started coming on again and the bike running roughly.

So I'm hazarding a guess and saying there's a problem with the gear or neutral sensor? Any tips in this direction? ( Like...where is it?!) I don't have a manual. Bike is my 2010 Roadster which is stock except for a slip on Viking muffler, Ramair set up and a Hanso unrestricted tune. Has a relay installed to stop the ignition frying.

All help and advice gratefully received.

Sean.

20170423_183613.jpg

You can see the GPS with the blue/brown wires coming out of it...its next to the rubber boot that covers the drive shaft uni joint

...also, I have no idea what your problem is but, from time to time, my fuel gauge does the same as yours did without any of the other symptoms you've got.

I just ignore it and it's all fixed :thumbsup:

i've had to replace the GPS several times on my '10 Roadster. it would appear that the original GPS is a common weak point on the first few model year Roadsters.
Based on my research - in march 2013 triumph updated the gear position sensor for a lot of its models, included all* (tourer not mentioned) the rocket models (rocket iii, classic, touring, touring SE, touring (ABS) and roadster). this came into effect at engine # 596481.

did you ever have to change yours? what kind of mileage you have?

the map is a little different for when you are in N than when you are in gear - this may account for the rough running you've experienced while your N light is dancing, i don't know - my idle used to dance when N light was dancing.

if you wish to start the problem solving by going down the route of updating the GPS since your one is now superseded, you may need the instructions;
Triumph Rocket III Community

Last edited:
Back