GPS hard wireing

Bigfoot

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket Classic, 2007 Rocket
I have the cable to hard wire the GPS power but it is for a car Can I hook it up on the bike the same way by just splicing into a power and ground wire I know this seems like a dumb question but I just want to make sure, other than the heat might effect it but under the tank it shouldnt get too hot. Thanks

Yes. I have mine hard wired to an auxiliary fuse box I put under the tank. Works like a charm

NOT a dumb question!
I be no 'lectrician and tried the same thing.
I blew up two GPS units before I learned that some kind of resister from 12 to 5 volts was necessary.
Hopefully some 'lectric guru will pop on here with the real scoop.
Be careful!

A car is 12v so is the rocket. If you are using a power cable that is designed to be run to 12v power on a car you should be fine

A car is 12v so is the rocket. If you are using a power cable that is designed to be run to 12v power on a car you should be fine

Is there not a round condenser or thingy located on the wire that reduces the juice?
I did not include this and blew out two GPS units!

well i just looked at my adaptor that plugs in to the cig lighter. what it says is input 10-30vdc and output 4.75-5.25 vdc. which means that you can plug it in to an accessory port, but you cannot cut off the end of the cord and wire it into the circuit of the rocket

well i just looked at my adaptor that plugs in to the cig lighter. what it says is input 10-30vdc and output 4.75-5.25 vdc. which means that you can plug it in to an accessory port, but you cannot cut off the end of the cord and wire it into the circuit of the rocket

THAT'S WHAT I WAS TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!

Simple enough, just have to get the voltage right. If the device needs 12 volts, you can hook it right up to the battery. If it needs 5 volts, you need a way to lower the voltage. Since no car comes with a 5v outlet there should be some sort of adapter with the GPS in that case. Hacking off the cable going into the GPS that wants, say, 5 volts and then wiring it directly to 12 is not going to be a good idea, that's like hooking a 110 volt appliance into 230 volts, the appliance will fry.

Personally, I just wired a 12 volts outlet to the bars http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-Electrical-Power-Handlebars-1423/dp/B00167R1SA - looks good, can fuel either my heated Gerbing gloves or two USB devices (like my iPhone with Tomtom software) via a low-profile 12v-to-USB adapter. Currently wired straight to the battery, after the work I have scheduled for the off season it's going to be going through a http://pdm60.com

I wired in a Garmin unit to one of my old bikes....It required 5 volts. If you use the 12 volt cig lighter plug that comes with the GPS it has the correct step down circuit to feed the unit 5 volts. If you just cut the wire off the cig lighter and attempt to hard wire it into your bike you will kill the GPS. If you want to this you have to use a small 12 volt to 5 volt transformer to step the voltage down to the required 5 volts. This can be mounted out of the way under a side cover etc.

Back