Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
So a few weeks ago I posted my Thunderbird Sport on CL again. A mid 40's guy and his wife came out to take a test ride. Well hubby went riding and wifey took stroll through the garage looking at my other bikes. She kind of fell in love with my Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport. When Hubby came back from his test ride, said he was in love with the TBS. So they asked me how much for both bikes. WOW ! I wasn't quit ready to part with the Guzzi. Anyway I gave them a price and they took both bikes. Well THANK YOU JESUS.

So since then I have been Jonesing for another Guzzi. What now ?? So of course I started looking for another better Guzzi. The Griso was the bike of choice. Finding one anywhere near by was not going to happen in Idaho. So I started watching the CL Cities and the Motorcycle posting all around the country. So I find one last week in NJ. A nice 2013 in nice shape. Then another 2013 pops up in Seattle for $500 more than the NJ bike. Here is the coolest thing about these 2 bikes. They were 1 digit apart on the VIN. Only the last number of the VIN was different. NJ ended in 3 and Seattle ended in 4. How cool is that ? Assembly line mates.

Well to make a short story long, I talked to the Seattle owner and he was willing to match the NJ price. So off to Seattle I went with my buddy Jerry in the Porsche. Got up there Saturday evening and p/u the bike. Went to a motel and crashed out for the night. Rode the bike back while Jerry drove the Porsche. We did switch out a little since it was 100 to 106 degrees on the ride home.

Went to register it today at the local DMV. Usually crowded on a Monday. NOT TODAY. Only 2 folks ahead of me in line. THANK YOU JESUS.

Jerry made some you tube videos. They are attached. He makes good videos. I like them.

DSCN7712.JPG

DSCN7721.JPG

20200815_190609.jpg 20200815_190502.jpg 20200815_190827.jpg 20200817_124651.jpg

So a few weeks ago I posted my Thunderbird Sport on CL again. A mid 40's guy and his wife came out to take a test ride. Well hubby went riding and wifey took stroll through the garage looking at my other bikes. She kind of fell in love with my Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport. When Hubby came back from his test ride, said he was in love with the TBS. So they asked me how much for both bikes. WOW ! I wasn't quit ready to part with the Guzzi. Anyway I gave them a price and they took both bikes. Well THANK YOU JESUS.

So since then I have been Jonesing for another Guzzi. What now ?? So of course I started looking for another better Guzzi. The Griso was the bike of choice. Finding one anywhere near by was not going to happen in Idaho. So I started watching the CL Cities and the Motorcycle posting all around the country. So I find one last week in NJ. A nice 2013 in nice shape. Then another 2013 pops up in Seattle for $500 more than the NJ bike. Here is the coolest thing about these 2 bikes. They were 1 digit apart on the VIN. Only the last number of the VIN was different. NJ ended in 3 and Seattle ended in 4. How cool is that ? Assembly line mates.

Well to make a short story long, I talked to the Seattle owner and he was willing to match the NJ price. So off to Seattle I went with my buddy Jerry in the Porsche. Got up there Saturday evening and p/u the bike. Went to a motel and crashed out for the night. Rode the bike back while Jerry drove the Porsche. We did switch out a little since it was 100 to 106 degrees on the ride home.

Went to register it today at the local DMV. Usually crowded on a Monday. NOT TODAY. Only 2 folks ahead of me in line. THANK YOU JESUS.

Jerry made some you tube videos. They are attached. He makes good videos. I like them.

DSCN7712.JPG

DSCN7721.JPG

20200815_190609.jpg 20200815_190502.jpg 20200815_190827.jpg 20200817_124651.jpg
Looks like it was all "meant to be"... WIN! WIN!
-MIG

Took the Griso for a great ride into the mountain twisties today. Went to Idaho City for lunch. This bike can do the deed and do it at some pretty good speeds. What fun. It is bone stock and has 30 more HP then the Sport did and handles oh so well. So since it is stock I am going to have to do some power mods and body mods. I am already investigating on-line. Taking the plunge. Here I go.

If any of you guys have any experience with Guzzi mods, please chime in.

If any of you guys have any experience with Guzzi mods, please chime in.
OK - here's the first thing. Don't expect miracles.
Guzzi have always managed to squeeze a lot out of a very basic engine.
The Griso was still basically an evolved military tractor engine. ( the new engines are a different matter)

I know this bike and everything it had done. Internally and out.
Cost 1000's to do. And should have cost more - but it was a mate.

The Griso rear shaft is fussy - keep it clean and lubed INSIDE.
Oh and the silencer fixing bolt system is doing to irritate.
Be fastidious with servicing. Little and Often.
And - Get used to frustration - having to remove 10,000 screws and a mass of covers to get to a filter or adjuster.
This from hours ins a shop helping out.

When I can see my mate (he's gone to see his mum in Italy) I'll ask about any specific issues - I know there were some recalls - But if it is not CLATTERING then they're done or past danger.

Congratulations IRR3, great looking bike. I really enjoy my California Touring 1400, smooth, comfortable, and you don't see one on every corner. When they first came out I decided I wanted one, style reminds me of the Art Deco period. After all who doesn't like a "Big Set of Jugs."

DSC04444.JPG
DSC04445.JPG

Back