Going to the Sun Road

Ezayakyala

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph RocketR
Planning my next vacation for me myself and I this summer. Want to get away on my own and enjoy 2 weeks riding. I live in Calgary so Montana is a place I think I want to discover. Anyone done this ride ? Tips? Advice ?

Did it in an ice fog, 6' snowbanks along the road, in mid July, if it's the road I think. Dress warm.

#1 Tip. Wait until July. By then the road should be open and you will only have to deal with wet roadway in a few places. Dress warm.

From Calgary I would do the first day down Highway 2 and make a stop in Nanton at the Bomber Command Museum and then cross the border at Carway. There is also the Remington Carriage Museum in Cardston to look at. Depending on how many days you want to do this maybe spend the night in St. Mary, MT and do the road east to west which will put you against the mountains most of the way. Then turn around and do it the other way so you can look over the very short wall to the abyss on that side of the road.

If you want to see more you can take Highway 2 back east from West Glacier and go through Browning and then 89 back to St Mary. Going through is a very important part of the directions, you really don't want to spend the night there, or much time at all during the day. It is what it is, a very poor reservation (reserve) town.

I lived in Browning MT for 4 years and that area was my back yard. I had a doctor I worked with that had a big family ranch east of Calgary on Highway 1 and I made quite a few trips up there to shoot her ground squirrels to keep her cows from stepping in the holes. I almost always went up Highway 2 unless I was going to Lethbridge or Fort Macleod then I would go over the border north of Shelby.

bob

There are a lot of good roads and things to see in this section of the US. If you want tips of things to see and roads to ride outside of MT, over into Idaho and Eastern WA let me know. I lived up there for 20+ years.

1708887390104.png

bob

#1 Tip. Wait until July. By then the road should be open and you will only have to deal with wet roadway in a few places. Dress warm.

From Calgary I would do the first day down Highway 2 and make a stop in Nanton at the Bomber Command Museum and then cross the border at Carway. There is also the Remington Carriage Museum in Cardston to look at. Depending on how many days you want to do this maybe spend the night in St. Mary, MT and do the road east to west which will put you against the mountains most of the way. Then turn around and do it the other way so you can look over the very short wall to the abyss on that side of the road.

If you want to see more you can take Highway 2 back east from West Glacier and go through Browning and then 89 back to St Mary. Going through is a very important part of the directions, you really don't want to spend the night there, or much time at all during the day. It is what it is, a very poor reservation (reserve) town.

I lived in Browning MT for 4 years and that area was my back yard. I had a doctor I worked with that had a big family ranch east of Calgary on Highway 1 and I made quite a few trips up there to shoot her ground squirrels to keep her cows from stepping in the holes. I almost always went up Highway 2 unless I was going to Lethbridge or Fort Macleod then I would go over the border north of Shelby.

bob

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. Great pointers. I would love some more pointers on roads to see. I would love to chart a path that has plenty of food, lodging and sight seeing options.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. Great pointers. I would love some more pointers on roads to see. I would love to chart a path that has plenty of food, lodging and sight seeing options.

Here is a handfull of roads that can be fun to ride all withing a decent distance to Calgary.

Going to the Sun, east to west and then again west to east on your way home.

Highway 12 from Lolo, Montana to Kooskia, Idaho. You pick up Higway 12 just south of Missoula. Make sure to gas up in Missoula.

1708986010191.png

The old spiral highway in Lewiston, ID. Short but fun, go both ways and watch out for skateboarders.

1708986187045.png

Highway 135 between St Regis MT and south of Plains. Just a very nice ride along the river. At the small place called Quinns they have a resort with hot springs and a small restaurant. It makes a really nice spot to stop for the night and relax in the hot springs.
1708986417911.png

There is a Triumph dealer in Missoula in case you need service, parts or just want to stop.

Highway 2 (The Highline) is not a bad piece of road, a few places where you can stretch the legs on the bike, a few small towns and a few scenic spots.

bob

Last edited:
Good tips.
Ridden the Rattlesnake many times, but was not aware of Spiral Rock to the north.

Back