GIVI Top Case Mount For My R3T

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
GIVI Top Case Dimensions

17.7 Wide 18.5 Deep 12.2 High B33

20.8 Wide 17.3 Deep 13.4 High V40

I've posted 4 other projects I've made for my R3T. An ATRE indicator mount, a part for making my BrakeAway throttle control work, some windshield mountable wind deflectors for your hands, and a custom lifting plate for raising my bike. This is my latest creation I would like to share with everyone in case you would like some ideas for mounting a top case.

I wanted to put a top case on my R3T for trips that I could remove as I preferred not to have it on my bike for most of my riding. I wanted to retain my passenger back rest for mounting other travel gear so I didn't want to simply put a backrest on the top case. Since the GIVI top cases only open forward, the current backrest would be in the way if I just mounted the adapter plate to the bike luggage rack. My solution was to make the case easily side backward so I could open the lid. My mount stops in both the outward and inward positions. I used some aluminum track that was originally made as a fencing track for a table saw (very heavy duty). I recessed the lower half of the track into a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and added another 1/2 inch piece of plywood to strengthen for the loss of some material from the dados cut for the female part of the track. The lower track still stands about 1/16 of an inch above the lower board surface so there is plenty of clearance for movement. I used some T-nuts to create mounting point for fastening my board assembly to the existing luggage rack. I used a piece of aluminum flat stock as well as two of the mounting brackets that came with the GIVI Monokey mount for fastening the board to the luggage rack. The upper rails are fastened to the Monokey mount allowing it to sliding in the lower track. In addition, I made a bracket for a spring loaded pin that locks the upper GIVI mount into position on the lower board. Almost all the screws, bolts and nuts are stainless steel to keep things looking good. I also drilled the lower board on the bottom side with a variety of holes, in non critical areas, to further lighten things up. The whole thing including the GIVI case weighs about 8 pounds. The rack slides easily, is solid and has no looseness or rattles. The stock luggage rack seems very sturdy in itself, as I have seen some pictures on the forum where the stock rack has been very heavily loaded for a trip. I only plan to use the case for carrying extra jackets and lite storage, doubting if the total weight would ever exceed 16 pounds. My Harley rack was rated a 15 pounds as I remember, with the Triumph rack being way heavier than the Harley rack ever thought of being.

The GIVI case I ordered, and shown, is only a Monokey B33 liter case, but I have 30 days to exchange it. Other than just trying it on for size, I have yet to actually use it. I'm thinking about ordering the newer V40 liter case and giving it a try. It should still fit just fine as well. In spite of the pictures, the case doesn't overwhelm the appearance of the bike and should give me enough extra storage for a trip. Anyway, let me know what you think about the idea, the appearance, size, and how solid the stock luggage rack is, etc. Here are some pictures to illustrate what I did...they probably explain it better that my narrative.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

While I like it . . . it is a tiny case for full size bike, and the only advantage I can see for the much reduced volume (and likely utility) is you have room to retain the padded sissy bar (I have the same seat set up as you -- except per previous posts I removed the sissy bar to make room for the Givi 55.

Still, love your ingenuity and ability to realize your conceptions.

Now then, what would it take for you to help me put the grab handles on ?

I can trade honey from my back yard . . . just sayin'

While I like it . . . it is a tiny case for full size bike, and the only advantage I can see for the much reduced volume (and likely utility) is you have room to retain the padded sissy bar (I have the same seat set up as you -- except per previous posts I removed the sissy bar to make room for the Givi 55.

Still, love your ingenuity and ability to realize your conceptions.

Now then, what would it take for you to help me put the grab handles on ?

I can trade honey from my back yard . . . just sayin'

It is small and I recall you had told me you setup the larger GIVI on your bike. I considered larger and may yet try the V40 which will be fine for me. Are you talking about grab bars on each side of the passenger seat for a passenger to hang on to? I'll ponder that idea....I've alway found solutions to what I need.

Back