G2 throttle tubes.

BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
I just called G2 and enquired about the aluminum throttle tube. They informed me that they only make them for 7/8" handle bars. So I guess without modifying the throttle end down to 7/8 I'm stuck with plastic throttle tubes for now. Does anyone know a good source for plastic throttle tubeso? I want to change my grips and thought it might be good to keep my stock grip on my spare.

I'm pretty sure R3 std same as R3T. I have read a few cut their plastic OEM ones from stock grips to re-use in aftermarket grips. Here is a cheap option:

Please don't jump him folks, fixed I will send a PM.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure R3 std same as R3T. I have read a few cut their plastic OEM ones from stock grips to re-use in aftermarket grips. Here is a cheap option:

Please don't jump him folks, fixed I will send a PM.
Thanks

Just FYI -
The OEM throttle grip CAN be cut away from the tube and a new grip installed.

Thanks Bull. My concern is that I've heard tales of it being a weak link. I've bought a spare today to keep in my bag

I made a new set of bars and made the throttle bit 7/8". Then put good solid bearing material between tube and bars.

But I am beginning to think we need somebody who is good with a lathe.

Who sells the throttle with the bearing design @barbagris
I made my own. Used solid plastic bearings from IGUS. igus® energy chains®, flexible cables, polymer bearings - Sent them the dimensions I wanted they sent me a pack by return. Glued inside the OEM throttle tube. Nothing more. Somewhere I have a set of pattern Harley grips I modified as a test - I'll look'em out and take a picture.

Edited - OK, I think the harley bits may have gone in the bin - but the bearings I used (I found the bag) were the IGUS MFM-2228-30 - 22mm ID 28mmOD and 30mm long. I ordered the model with flange though the MSM (no flange) variant might be easier. I can't remember if I had to skim the OD down a bit. Probably (I have a small lathe) as 28mm OD sounds a bit big.

The other option COULD be to have new throttle tubes 3D printed in fiber reinforced nylon. Be a piece of cake (via 3D-Hubs) if somebody could get a pro-grade HD 3D scan done. I am looking here but so far no go. Or have some made to measure by Igus.

Last edited:
Back