HeR3tic

Living Legend
For those who may store their machines for months during the off season this product may be of interest.

http://www.priproducts.com/prigproduct.htm
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_11052_PRIG_for_all_Gasolines.html

PRI-G or PRI-D depending on your application.

I use it in all my gasoline stored for lawn machines, generator, and my three-wheeler (atv) which also sets for extended periods. And I fill up the tanks on these equipment before storing them with the treated fuel. I figure a cost of just under 4 cent per gallon, after shipping. The second link above was where I found it the cheapest. BTW, I'm not familiar with the diesel product. I know there are several other products on the market that are suppose to do much the same for stored gasoline. I'm not inclined toward those products for reasons of cost and the length of time fuels can be stored, and still remain "fresh". This product PRI-G is said to restore badly degraded fuel to refinery freshness. Whether that is hype or fact, I can live with it.

Speaking of gasoline generators: The greatest cause for gasoline operated emergency power generator failure, be that poor performance or failure to run, is poor gasoline. My generator cranks easily and runs smooth on this treated gas.

By U.S. law the maximum gallons of gasoline you can "store" is 25. This doesn't apply to motor vehicle gas tanks. I don't know whether they have to be road worthy;) There is an equivalent amount of propane allowed as well.

Thanks for the info. And don't forget to run the engine for a while after adding it to the gas tank. My uncle thought he was good to go with his generator after adding gas treatment to the tank. Then the power went out, then he found he had some nice thick varnish in the carbs. He didn't realized that it would probably do some good to get the treated gas into the carb and engine.:rolleyes:

Besides gasoline coagulating in the carburetor of a standby generator causing failure, the second most common cause of generator failure is not exercising the generator under load. Just running a gen set without loading the alternator (I don't know why it's called a generator other than it generates electricity) without applying a load does nothing. You have to load the alternator with a current drain to cause the brushes to excite the armature and clean any tarnish off the copper segments. That applies to a portable gen set or a standby unit like I have. My 25KW unit exercises itself, but every month I isolate the utility power and let the gen set assume the load. I always have my wife use the washer, the dryer and the oven and turn on all the lights to work the unit and remove tarnish from the segments.

I didn't know there was any U.S. Law that limited the amount of stored fuel or propane. I guess about every farmer would be a criminal. I have 1000 gallons of propane in storage in 2 tanks all the time, 150 gallons of regular unleaded and 1000 gallons of diesel.

I believe Hondax has 6000 gallons of propane.

I'll have to retract my statement on fuel storage. I'll find the source eventually. Neither google nor yahoo have led me to the source for my earlier statement as fact. Though I believe the restriction was on portable containers, not permanently fixed tanks, and I didn't make that clear. Sorry. I'll find it, eventually.

Yes, the restricitions are on portable containers. IAW NFPA30 and UFC. Twenty pound propane tank is equivalent to 5 gallons of gasoline.

Last edited:
Back