Fuelling and pressure query

THanks for the wise words Wayne, tinkering is all very well but there are risks you're right. I think I'll start by taking the beast to a nearby dyno tuner and see what he makes of it as it is first. With Tune ECU and the 20355 map installed, derestricted and TORs, might as well make sure it's working to it's best possible performance before I start anything else.

I did a track day at with it last year which was interesting, especially for the spectators,but that's not what it's meant for of course - but I do like to push the boundaries a bit....

Higher fuel pressure would give more fuel per squirt, but the bigger advantage would be the better atomization of the gasoline. If a person were skilled enough, couldn't Tuneboy or Tunecu be used to correct the time the injectors are open to keep the amount of fuel delivered equal?

On an aside; years ago I read about people using water injected at high pressure - like 90 psi, to aid in combustion. It seems that the guys running turbos get a lot of benefit from it - cleaner cylinders, more resistant to detonation, actually DECREASED fuel consumption. Pretty interesting stuff.

Higher pressure does indeed improve the injector pattern and flow, but the downside is the reduced injector on-time at low rpm. This actually can reduce efficiency - especially if the injectors are not dynamically flow matched.

Injectors vary greatly in lag time. At low duty-cycles, lag time is a big percentage of total on-time, and actual fuel delivery to each cylinder varies greatly.

Back