Front Tire Change Time

Don't worry my friend some day maybe you will realise being retarded means quit going in to work for the man

Amigo,
The only "man" I work for be me!
I still enjoy the challenge and my mula comes from attorneys! :laugh: :thumbsup:

Amigo,
The only "man" I work for be me!
I still enjoy the challenge and my mula comes from attorneys! :laugh: :thumbsup:
So olbull if I run a 240/55/16 on the rear and a 140/75/17 on the front I should get that geometry you are advocating, right? Do you think I will get any ABS codes thrown with that set up? I do think this bike could handle better in the twisties. I actually thing my Indian RM handle the curves better than the Roadster on the OEM tires.

if I run a 240/55/16 on the rear and a 140/75/17 on the front I should get that geometry you are advocating, right? Do you think I will get any ABS codes thrown with that set up?

I can answer that - you won't get an ABS code because the differential between the tires is under 5% the ABS system will allow slightly above 5% without any problems, Lots of guys have run this setup on ABS Rockets without an issue. The 130 diameter will throw a code on an ABS bike because the differential is above 6%. It's not a problem with the 140/75 profile.

So olbull if I run a 240/55/16 on the rear and a 140/75/17 on the front I should get that geometry you are advocating, right? Do you think I will get any ABS codes thrown with that set up? I do think this bike could handle better in the twisties. I actually thing my Indian RM handle the curves better than the Roadster on the OEM tires.

That's what I've been running on my '11 Roadster for the past several tire changes without any code issue. You will see a HUGE difference in handling that might actually take a little getting used to, at first. It takes very little input to steer and almost feels like the bike goes where you "think it" to go. At first I thought I may have made a mistake changing the rake, but now I'd never go back to the original setup with any brand.

New tires coming today, in fact. I had pretty good luck with the Dunlop American Elite (140/75R-17) in the past, but trying the Battlecruise H50 along with the Exedra Max on the rear, as usual.

Good question, Doc.
No faults, but if you go down to a 130 front tire you will indeed get an ABS fault that will eliminate ABS but still give you regular brakes.
i tested this on my R3R and know it for a fact. :D

Good question, Doc.
No faults, but if you go down to a 130 front tire you will indeed get an ABS fault that will eliminate ABS but still give you regular brakes.
i tested this on my R3R and know it for a fact. :D
Thank you for your work and reply. I’m going to go with the 140 as I think that will be improvement enough for me.

I can answer that - you won't get an ABS code because the differential between the tires is under 5% the ABS system will allow slightly above 5% without any problems, Lots of guys have run this setup on ABS Rockets without an issue. The 130 diameter will throw a code on an ABS bike because the differential is above 6%. It's not a problem with the 140/75 profile.

Pretty sure that ALL the combinations are under a 5% Circumference ratio difference.
Stock rear to front ratio is -3.9%
Stock rear with 140/75 front is .7%
Exedra Max rear with 140/75 front is 4.27%
Exedra Max rear with 130/80 front is 4.57%

The key is the total ratio difference, such as OEM -3.9% to Exedra Max & 140 of 4.27% - Differential = 8.17%
That -3.9% to the 130/80 is 4.57 = 8.47%
Therefor, a .3% circumference ratio difference yields an ABS fault.
Basically I would consider anything above 8% dicey and would not increase the difference any more than the 240/55R with 140/75F.
Note that I now run a 150/70 Michelin Road 5 (by far best I have ever run twisties with on the Rocket) however, its 79.38" circumference is the same as the 140/75 and all is bliss!

Tires_Size-Comparisons.jpg

Pretty sure that ALL the combinations are under a 5% Circumference ratio difference.
Stock rear to front ratio is -3.9%
Stock rear with 140/75 front is .7%
Exedra Max rear with 140/75 front is 4.27%
Exedra Max rear with 130/80 front is 4.57%

The key is the total ratio difference, such as OEM -3.9% to Exedra Max & 140 of 4.27% - Differential = 8.17%
That -3.9% to the 130/80 is 4.57 = 8.47%
Therefor, a .3% circumference ratio difference yields an ABS fault.
Basically I would consider anything above 8% dicey and would not increase the difference any more than the 240/55R with 140/75F.
Note that I now run a 150/70 Michelin Road 5 (by far best I have ever run twisties with on the Rocket) however, its 79.38" circumference is the same as the 140/75 and all is bliss!

Tires_Size-Comparisons.jpg
EU law allows +/- 3% per axle so 6% total difference is 100% safe.
It is a small leap of faith. But I endorse the 150/70 argument. It reduces the width and crown radius discrepancies.
I know somebody slotted a 160/70 in up front - but That looks like a serious clearance issue waiting to happen on mine.
Off to do my fist proper Road5 test today. Riding home from the tyre place does not count. Unless I take the Guzzi - tough call tbh.

Back