Front end shake Wobble

Update on my wobbly - took hands off the bars at around 40 and the wobble was pretty bad ....... took hands off bars at around 60 and no wobble whatsoever. And both times I was allowing her to de-excel naturally (no cruise control) :confused: I am definitely going to stop in and talk with the dealer this week.

The first thing I would check if you have wobble is the head stock adjustment nut. New bikes with new bearings should be checked after a good break-in (8,000-10,000 miles or 1 year). Along with all other nuts, bolts, and bearings. If you find any bolts needing tightening I would remove and apply some thread lock.

I had 2 exhaust cover bolts come loose after 2,000 miles. Removed and thread locked all and no problems now.

I had some problems with the bike. This winter I put new fork springs (Wilbers) in the front and the beast is totally quiet. I can take off my hands at every speed. No problem.

check this: Wilbers

Update on my wobbly - took hands off the bars at around 40 and the wobble was pretty bad ....... took hands off bars at around 60 and no wobble whatsoever. And both times I was allowing her to de-excel naturally (no cruise control) :confused: I am definitely going to stop in and talk with the dealer this week.

I had a front end wobble that was noticeably worse at low speed. My dealer checked the entire front end to no avail. Checked the rear and noticed that the rear tyre was feathered on the edges, changed it and end of wobble.
Strange I know but that's what it was :rolleyes:

Thanks Laraza - I will definitely check the rear tire for the feathering effect. My brother and I tried tightening up the front end as recommended by an earlier post - everything checks out good in that area. Loosened and reset torque on headstock nuts but problem is the same - looking forward to checking the rear tire when I get home from work today.

I have a 2010 Rocket 3 Touring and also experience some front end wobble. I have been searching for an answer but have so far come up empty. I have heard it may have something to do with the riser bushings being to soft and it seems as though I may have read somewhere about tightening the front end up but I have not had opportunity to try this due to lack of funds. Some have even suggested to me tire cupping but the tire seems to be in good shape with no apparent cupping - I will anxiously watch this post.
the front tire is also very suspect in regards to the front end wobble. I have developed several on the r3 and other bikes as well. The tire does not necessarily have to have "visible defect" to create a significant wobble.

I have solved the problem with my wobbly bike. It was not as complicated as I had thought it would be nor was it as costly as I was concerned it would be ....... man, this is embarrassing. Low tire pressure front and back - 6 lbs. under on the front and 9 lbs. low on the rear. The reason I did not consider this was because I try to keep an eye on my tire pressure and thought I was doing a pretty good job of it - I have been checking my tire pressure every several weeks or so ;). But that was not enough - so ever since I got my bike the only time it was actually riding smooth was when I remembered to check the tire pressure - somehow I never made the connection to my wobble. I was so intent on trying to figure out this "major issue" with my bike that I forgot the simple procedures that should be normal, routine maintenance. Local bike guru said that due to our climate we should be checking our tires every week so now I will be checking it every Friday ... :).

Tire Pressure

Mine has the Metzlers and the front one is wobbly if either over or under correct pressure. 35 to 37 PSI seems to be the sweet spot pressure-wise. Wobbles at 40 and wobbles at 32. I've had a lot of bikes and lots more tires in 41 years and this one is the most sensitive to pressure tire in all my experience.

Back