Bone crusher

I'd rather be lucky than smart
Ride
2011 Triumph R3R
I recently read on fb about a rocketeer using a 130/90/17 front Tyre I don’t know what brand but the comment was that it was like having power steering. I aware of the advantages of the 140/75/17 but had until now not heard of using that size. Are any of lads here running that size Tyre and do you find it.
Thanks

I don't think you can run the 130 with abs or it throws a code. Whoever posted that is probably running a non-abs bike.

Edit to add: if you have the stock size Metz on the back you might be able to. I think it's with the taller EMax/130 combo that the ratio is too far off.

I have the 130/70 ZR 62W on my 2006 classic. Both Exceedra Max. Front is light and skips when you twist the throttle but I like it. You will have a substantial amount of gap between the wheel and front fender unless you do a modification.

Last edited:
Hey guys it will work a 130/90 is taller then a 140/75 almost a inch taller. But I wonder what the speed rating of the 90 profile is.

ran a 130/70 zr with a 225 riken car tire on an 05 r3. seemed like it erased all of the ill effects of the car tire at first. it looked ridiculous. the gap at the fender was noticeable and looked goofy. the effect was dramatic. turn in was improved and the tracking improved, especially where tire ''ruts'' from heavy traffic would cause the bike to wander at low speed with a car tire. high speed was always a concern especially in the wet. high speed back roads here in new England were a blast when chasing around sport bikes. it made me think how much difference tires and their combinations really make . I had been running the car tire for about 6 years and had become numb to the car tires limitations, and was just plain tired of looking at it. so i put on a 240 bridgestone at about 1500 miles on the 130 . the 130 only lasted about 2000 miles and was toast. actually 2 or 3 months after putting the 130 on my friends were commenting how spent the tire looked. that was at roughly 1000 miles. I think the push of the big car tire tore the 130 up. the 240 130 combo ''worked'' but in my opinion was a failure as the large rear tires are just to much or a 130.i now have a Michelin 140/75 r17 with a brigestone 240/55r that I think will be great once I get my tranny figured out.good luck it really is a crap shoot/gamble I would not recommend.

A 130/90 and a 240/55 (or 50) will almost certainly result in a rolling crown mismatch. This exacerbates wear.
It will have some handling effects but honestly (unless you are racing) the effects are quickly assimilated into riding style.

And I would be VERY worried about speed ratings - If the tyre gets too hot - then it will impact the tyres weight rating. This WILL affect safety.

An R3 ridden hardish into corners on good aggressive grippy tarmac severely challenges V rated rubber. You are pushing (with rider) the best part of half a ton over two fairly small contact patches. If I could find appropriate Z (W) rated rubber - That's what I'd use.

There is no 130/90 or 130/80 for that matter, that has an acceptable speed rating for even a stock rocket. If you're a conservative rider, that may be fine.

Graybeard,
Your theory regarding "rolling crown" or tread width differences is interesting.
I wonder what the "rolling crown" diff of the Grand Prix motors is?
I push my R3R fairly hard in the twisties and have never had any handling issues with the 140/75R17 front run with the 240/55R16 rear.
As you know, I have recently put a 150/70 R17 up front which increases this "rolling crown" discrepancy . . . we shall see on my impending 3k trip???

Back