triroketman

Supercharged
I don't know if any of you have this same problem, but I will share mine with you.
Every time I ride my new Rocket I have this urge to pass everything in sight. If I go for a ride and don't blow past pretty much everybody I don't feel like I have been for a ride. Did God not make cars just for me to pass as fast as I possible can. My new frame of mind keeps a smile on my face pretty much all the time.
Dave
2006 Classic R&W

I know what you mean

I still find it fanscianting how little you are twisting the throttle and the speedo is laying on 75 mph. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 40 years but my time may be coming.

Discretion is the key to......

Being of a somewhat advanced age (57), I use discretion all the time. Now days, there are cops (meter maids) lurking everywhere and our present economy (declining) has put more meter maids on the street where they lurk in wait of unsuspecting speeders to add to their respective communities waining revenues.

In my line of work, tickets are points and points can and will contribute to loss of employment which, quite frankly I can't afford either monetarily or emotionally.

Here in Michigan (and I presume other states too), points on your license cause an abrupt increase in insurance premiums and eventual cancellation of coverage and then the onset of high risk and high premium insurance (read boo-coo money).

Consequently, discretion must, at all times be employed to insure that you, as an insured get no tickets. My Rocket displays the same behavior but only I can cause that to happen. Lack of discretion transmitted to the right hand will cause untold financial loss.

I've always had a penchant for speed. I've been 190 in a cage on the freeway and when I was a kid (young, dumb and full of c*m), I had a '66 Vette that would do 150 with the top down (read hang on tight or you'll get sucked right out). My last sled would run out at 150 plus on frozen lakes and run 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and I used it regularly but that's scary so it went bye, bye.

I know the Rocket will go. It's not a 'Busa and it's not a lawn mower (read Hardley) either. Knowing in your mind and coming to terms with your wallet and the insurance company as well as not wanting to give contributions to the local law enforcement (that's a laugh, protecting the people and upholding the law...not, giving speeding tickets and eating doughnuts and generally spending the taxpayers money...yes) is something that has to be in your mind and controlling the impulse to twist the quarter turn throttle grip, every time you take the R3 out.

Any motorcycle of reasonable displacement will eat a car for lunch in a stoplight drag, not just the Rocket and in the scheme of things, the Rocket is just middle of the road in terms of performance. The R3's forte' is comfort, cruiseability and long range driving in a performance package coupled with distinctive (love it or hate it) looks.

You have to weigh your continued love of riding it against what is going to happen when you license no longer is valid because of your indiscretion with your right hand.:D

Having said that, I practice discretion all the time and I haven't had a moving violation citation in 17 years. I was also nominated safe drive of the year in 2006 for the company I work at my day job for. That's an accomplishment seeing as I drive on the average of 150,000 miles each year in all kinds of weather.

Yes, Flip, discretion sure helps. But, without taking anything away from your sensible post, I'd submit that there are times when LUCK, good or bad, enters the picture.

Bad luck, to me, was lurking in the deserted outskirts of a village at 9:00 a.m., i.e. a radar trap parked less than a quarter of mile away from the "end of speed limit" (30mph) road sign. I was caught @ 70... and lost my license for a month :mad: .
Good luck, to me, was when I belatedly realized that a highway patrol car (w/o lights nor siren) was chasing me @ 100 mph and, lo and behold, a truck, less than half a mile ahead of us, hit the guard rail (punctured tyre?, driver falling asleep? I'll never know) Traffic came to a grinding halt. The troopers stopped their car and rushed towards the truck. One of them shouted something to me in french that can be translated as "get lost!, OK?"

Jamie:cool:

Jamie:

Though I do derive some income from farming and some income from my fabrication/custom machining business, the large portion comes from my driving job and if I didn't practice discretion on a daily basis, I'd loose my prime income and I have a lot of toys to pay for.

One thing that's always bothered me about being a Carree driver (I'm not going to say professional driver as there are way too many idiot truck drivers out there (( it seems most are wearing turbans these days)) is that driving a truck, unlike being a plumber or electrician or any other skilled tradesman (yes, good drivers are skilled ((despite a lot of people's idea that we are all high school dropouts)), well, if you are a plumber and you screw up a job your plumbers license isn't effected. If you are an electrician, you don't loose your license. Being a truck driver if you get citied in the truck for an infraction, just like the bike or your cage, it goes against your record and affects your PERSONAL insurance. That's crap.:(

I hope you were in third gear while being chased:D

Sidecar Flip said:
Being of a somewhat advanced age (57), I use discretion all the time. Now days, there are cops (meter maids) lurking everywhere and our present economy (declining) has put more meter maids on the street where they lurk in wait of unsuspecting speeders to add to their respective communities waining revenues.
Flip, Do you know why policemen have bigger balls than firemen? They sell more tickets.
Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief, it doesn't matter there are good and bad in every profession. Having retired from a career in law-enforcement I must defend 95% of those who choose to wear a badge. In my 32 years of serivce (even when I was drafted I was made an MP in Vietnam)I would like to think I saved a few lives, took some very bad people out of society that didn't deserve to be there, and helped a few on to a better life.
Trust me I'm not a soapbox, I've heard the comments all my life, and you know what I don't even eat donuts. It's like being the preachers son, when that 5% screws up by being badge heavy and abusing their power they are the ones who make the news. In the words of the great Forest Gump, "That's all I've got say about that".

Constable Britman.

britman said:
I still find it fanscianting how little you are twisting the throttle and the speedo is laying on 75 mph. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 40 years but my time may be coming.

Britman:

I had no idea that you are an retired constable. You'll never get a speeding ticket as long as you have your FOP card in your wallet with your drivers license or a FOP medallion next to your license plate.:p As far as 'nam, that ain't discussable here.

Last edited:
Hey Triroketman,I have to admit to the same urge when I got mine and did pass at every opportunity,the more cars to pass the better.Then after a three car pass on a 45mph I saw the lights behind me and wondered where he came from.Yes Mr.Law asked who was sick,where the fire was and all.When I pulled off my helmet and he asked didn't you see me I just shrugged and said,no sir.He shook his head and said something about picking up somebodys body parts and then said have a good day and drove off.I consider that my warning,and I'm sure he just wanted to see who owned that Rocket but I'm a bit more patient and leave earlier.Still crack the throttle on occasion but on safer tracks of asphalt.

Brian and I (and Mr. Pianoman too :D) almost always stumble across someone who is just begging to be passed. Its not our fault, we just can't help it.

Back