The problem with laws like that, it's a felony to get caught at XXX speed, do, the answer is....

Don't get caught.

It incentives running, and I'll tell you straight up, if a cop spotted me at 150+, they're never going to see me again. Have done it before, will probably have to again, just need to ensure youve got the fuel to run at plaid speed for 3-5 minutes, and then hide.

I should qualify that, I'll happily stop when one gets behind me going just a little over, the fines small and ... They have the plate on video lol.

I don't run anymore, my Rocket is no where near fast enough to outrun our highway patrol, and it doesn't squeeze between rows of sugarcane like a sportsbike... But I have in the past and fuel was always the biggest concern, the TLR drinks massive amounts of fuel at WOT. I would hate to think how much a 250hp 2.3L drinks when held flat. FWIW, never been caught on a bike, never had a speeding ticket on a bike in 22 years of road riding. Touch wood...

I wonder if a Oklahoma State Trooper on a 'Busa would give you a run....
76208339.jpg

Here in Florida if you are caught going more than 30mph over the posted speed limit they can confiscate your bike.:( It discriminates as the law does not apply to cars. Surprised it hasn’t been challenged ...that I know of anyway. So Mr.Claviger and other triple digit riders be cool in the Sunshine State if you happen to visit.

Nice to know - if I get back to the straight, flat lands on motor.

Guess they felt it did discriminate and it has been amended to include cars. Wheelies can be cause for confiscation too for our wheelying members who visit!

“As of October 1st, anyone caught doing 30mph over the speed limit in Florida faces vehicle confiscation, five to ten years in prison and a ten-year license suspension. Bill HB 137, which was signed into law earlier today, was originally targeted at motorcyclists, but was amended at the last minute to include all vehicles.”

Makes no sense.
How can a speed violation or a wheelie be a felony?
Must be more to this , , ,?

Looked up - Florida HB 137 is Employment after retire of School employees.

Maybe because over 30 mph and wheelies become reckless driving which is a felony??? I’m no police officer, you would know better than me but I did read in the law where they can confiscate...doesn’t mean they will, but they can.

Last edited:
Steve, take a look at this. I also saw where it had to do with retirement. This bill was from 10 years ago. They amended it to include cars. In smaller print which stupid me doesn’t read apparently it was proposed but never voted in. I stand corrected (d@mn mouse print!). So back to 140mph wheelies in the Sunshine State.:D

Florida Passes HB 137, Speeders Face Vehicle Confiscation, Prison Time

Last edited:
They slip all kinds of things into bills that have nothing to do with them, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Back