Fitting a Tank Rack to a 2.5l Rocket 3

I like modifications on Rockets (or motorcycles in general) to make it your own. The Rockets have been pretty similar with a handful of colors or combinations of colors since 05. I can appreciate it when owners do something to it to fit their tastes. Mine is simple. I have red brake and clutch grips, bright red tire stem caps and a red/black Union Jack for knee pads along with a clear Powerbronze 18" screen. I really like the simple modifications and pretty sure no ones out there looks 'Exactly' like mine. What ever you do in my opinion if you like it you can't go wrong. Here's an older pic. I'm so anal my rear tire lock is Black and Red. I need help. Cheers. Oh yeah, I see I have a black and red lawn mower also. :thumbsup:
IMG_0862 (1).JPG

I like modifications on Rockets (or motorcycles in general) to make it your own. The Rockets have been pretty similar with a handful of colors or combinations of colors since 05. I can appreciate it when owners do something to it to fit their tastes. Mine is simple. I have red brake and clutch grips, bright red tire stem caps and a red/black Union Jack for knee pads along with a clear Powerbronze 18" screen. I really like the simple modifications and pretty sure no ones out there looks 'Exactly' like mine. What ever you do in my opinion if you like it you can't go wrong. Here's an older pic. I'm so anal my rear tire lock is Black and Red. I need help. Cheers. Oh yeah, I see I have a black and red lawn mower also. :thumbsup:
IMG_0862 (1).JPG
I agree with your views regarding making the bike your own.

There are 2 to 3 reasons why I can't help but modify/tweak my vehicles.

1- I'm a designer and virtually everything I buy is short of being perfect for my functional requirements, so I often get drawn into trying to make it work better, but only if a good idea in my head that might be achievable to make cost effectively.

2- Styling is very subjective and therefore is by it's very nature very personal. My aesthetic preference is for clean lines and visual balance, which is not as easy to achieve in 'naked' motorcycle design, as is is, in say, car design. A good way to try to achieve my preferred look, is by tricking the eye, using colour, high light & low light in the right places, so that your eye is more drawn to the lines on the bike that have the right flow and balance. The key thing is to try to have as few lines as possible without it becoming characterless. I think Triumph did a really great job on the Rocket but I think it was at the expense of some practicality, but that is very often the case in all automotive design.

3- To make the bike handle better and/or go better. In the case of the Rocket more power is not as much of a priority as weight. It's a very tricky area and I haven't decided yet whether to commit to modify anything much in this area. I'd rather keep things as they are than spoil what I have and then regret my actions.
On the subject of power, I think that I shall probably be heading down to see Richard Albans at some point in the future for a dyno set up. The only reason I haven't done it before now, is that I can't decide what to do regarding the exhaust and if I do something there, I would prefer to do the exhaust before the dyno tune.

Now... on a more important subject......Is that mower a Toro Recycler? It looks just like my 38" 'walk behind'.....Although, the engagement bar looks a bit different....It's red....Hmm...Have you been customizing your mower too? ;)

Last edited:
IMG_0862 (1).JPG
And a red and black shovel when the cheeT gets really deep.

Ok. So I found time to push her out from the back of the workshop and have a stand back and evaluate what I have done.
I think it's worked out better than I originally thought before I began the little project.
I know that the style of the tank rack doesn't exactly blend with the style/material of the rack behind the seat, but I intend to make some aesthetic changes to the rear rack anyway which will help on that score.

Resize of PXL_20240316_170656966.jpg

Resize of PXL_20240316_170741925.jpg

Resize of PXL_20240316_170754630.jpg

Resize of PXL_20240316_170230744.jpg

Turned out super nice. Can you also share a bit more about the rear rack setup you have going there?

Thanks Jay.
The rear rack is somewhat of a work in progress.
I didn't like either the look or the sturdiness of the stock rack/back rest system so I set out to do something that fits my own personal vision and practical preferences.
The new rack is very sturdy. Incredibly so. The intention is that it forms the base for three different set ups.
1- as a basic luggage rack. So, for example, if I want to carry a huge, heavy bag/case then I can screw a large base on top of the rack which will support it fully.
2- I have a special aerodynamic hard-shell 'top box' which I sometimes like to use, so the rack can integrate with that solution.
3- The stock pillion seat isn't to my wife's comfort requirements, so I can use the rack as a base for a wider/bigger seat pad, which i'm in the process of designing/making.
Here is a link to when it began and where it's got to, so far:
Designing a new rear fender - winter project

Thanks Jay.
The rear rack is somewhat of a work in progress.
I didn't like either the look or the sturdiness of the stock rack/back rest system so I set out to do something that fits my own personal vision and practical preferences.
The new rack is very sturdy. Incredibly so. The intention is that it forms the base for three different set ups.
1- as a basic luggage rack. So, for example, if I want to carry a huge, heavy bag/case then I can screw a large base on top of the rack which will support it fully.
2- I have a special aerodynamic hard-shell 'top box' which I sometimes like to use, so the rack can integrate with that solution.
3- The stock pillion seat isn't to my wife's comfort requirements, so I can use the rack as a base for a wider/bigger seat pad, which i'm in the process of designing/making.
Here is a link to when it began and where it's got to, so far:
Designing a new rear fender - winter project
I had missed the thread on your rear rack development. You can support up to the weight of a person on that rack for sure. That is equally impressive. I wish we lived closer together. I would coloborate with you on a better pannier solution. The OEM is the pretiest, but not very strong. H&B are a bit stronger, but still cantilevered and don’t look very nice for a permanent mount when the bags are off the bike (IMO). Ducati makes a nice mount for their semi-rigid bags to mount on the Diavel. I am thinking something more like a Givi or Shad lockable hard bag with a cross-member that is stable without going to a permenant mount like Corbin. Anyway, thinking out loud at the risk of hijacking your thread.

I had missed the thread on your rear rack development. You can support up to the weight of a person on that rack for sure. That is equally impressive. I wish we lived closer together. I would coloborate with you on a better pannier solution. The OEM is the pretiest, but not very strong. H&B are a bit stronger, but still cantilevered and don’t look very nice for a permanent mount when the bags are off the bike (IMO). Ducati makes a nice mount for their semi-rigid bags to mount on the Diavel. I am thinking something more like a Givi or Shad lockable hard bag with a cross-member that is stable without going to a permenant mount like Corbin. Anyway, thinking out loud at the risk of hijacking your thread.
It's true to say that the current Rocket has been designed more to be a stylish 'big bike' with big torque/power with a big presence, but the Triumph designers really haven't given enough focus and effort into making it a serious practical bike. The luggage facilities that they have offered up to us owners are not serious at all. High on cost low on capacity and durability. The look ok but are not much use.
That said, the rear subframe of the bike is good and strong, with four easy to get to fixing points underneath the bodywork. With this in place, there are so many possibilities for a good solution. They just haven't done it.
It's a great pity.
So much potential.

Back