First Service - Rocket 3R - too expensive?

Turbanator

Standard Bore
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3R
I bought Rocket 3R 3 months ago and now its due for its first service after 600 miles. I got a quote of $495 from my dealership for the first service which I believe is very steep. Any suggestions or alternatives available that others have tried in the past to reduce the cost?

My second service was in February and I paid $454.00 in Roseville Cal. Based on the jump in oil prices I would say that it's correct. My Rockets warranty is up in December and I will service the bike myself. I won't go back to the dealer for a tire change or oil change as a cycle shop in Roseville or Auburn will do it for 40% less than the Triumph dealers. One of the many pitfalls of living in this state is the price of everything. To answer Tripp's question above that is what the $454.00 is for only. The inspection is part of the warranty but no charge.

I was thinking of riding to ROseville too but its 2.2 hrs away from San Jose and doesn't make sense to drive all the way to save $50.
@Tripps - Service includes oil and filter plus random checks

I got my first service as part of the negotiation for the sale, but they didn't do much besides oil and filter change. I found no reason to get back to the dealer for service.
If i saw they checking all bolts torque, measuring levels, checking computer for error logs, stuff like that, I may have returned, but they didn't do anything i can't do by myself and better

Shared this in a similar post a while ago. When I purchased my 2012 Roadster, I informed the dealer that I wouldn't be bringing the bike in for it's service since I lived 9 hours away. My question to them was related to retaining my warranty. I also informed them that I was a licensed tradesman. They informed me that so long as I used Triumph filters and approved oil (told to keep all receipts) there would be no problem. I made sure that I purchased the filters and oil from the dealer for that first service. I never put a claim in while the bike was on warranty but I did send them a request for the left muffler infill support bracket which was missing which they promptly sent at no charge. Tried to get a rear wheel replaced a few months out of warranty when it cracked in the bearing land but no joy. I can't see how your warranty would be revoked if you perform your own service with approved Triumph parts. The only issue would be the service notification issue through the ECM which the earlier Rockets didn't have.

My understanding is that, as Gregger says above, you can do your own oil change. I took photos of the process using Motul 7100, but a WIX filter which is the same, same (probably a mistake there). So now I have a cute little wrench icon on my display that doesn't bother me at all.

Back