First Bad News for new Rocket: oil leaks

Over here in NZ my On Road Costs will be $NZ795. This includes 6 months registration of $NZ262.(my choice as it will be winter here)
My first service is free and they will be putting the oil and filter of my choice in the bike...Amsoil 10W 40 synthetic and Amsoil oil filter....(quote...Maximum Protection Against Wear
The unique construction and full-synthetic media of Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters allow them to provide excellent performance in motorcycles and other powersports equipment. They are designed to last longer, remove smaller particles and offer less restriction than other filters. Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters provide filtering efficiency of 98.7 percent at 20 microns, delivering outstanding protection for motorcycles and other equipment...unquote).
Brad, the sales manager, was ok with the oil choice as it meets the standards required.
He is a good bugger as is the Parts and maintenance bloke, Graeme.
I asked if they would leave the unpacking to me or at least i can help and they agreed.I'm very happy with that.

You could not activate the ECU. You must log into Triumph from an authorized dealer to receive the downloads that the bike needs to function.

Weird. You did buy a bike with Ecu incl. code. When Triumph is removing the code before shipping it should be their problem and the customer should not pay extra for putting the code back into the Ecu.So, if I want to buy a crated one and assembling the bike by myself, I should to pay for the Ecucode ?o_O

The bike leaves the factory 'ready to roll 'as it were. The code isnt put in to protect the motor from unwanted starting until it reaches the dealer. They finish assembly and put the code and tune in so that the customer has a 'Brand New' bike. Obviously the bike is started and run so checks are made to ensure everything is tickety boo. All bolts and fittings are torqued correctly and the bike is cleaned and ready for you.
To walk into the dealers and climb aboard and ride her out the door with zero miles on the clock is a never to be forgotten feeling.

I’ve never heard of any new bike shipped directly to a customer bypassing the dealer. Has this really been done?

The bike leaves the factory 'ready to roll 'as it were. The code isnt put in to protect the motor from unwanted starting until it reaches the dealer. They finish assembly and put the code and tune in so that the customer has a 'Brand New' bike. Obviously the bike is started and run so checks are made to ensure everything is tickety boo. All bolts and fittings are torqued correctly and the bike is cleaned and ready for you.
To walk into the dealers and climb aboard and ride her out the door with zero miles on the clock is a never to be forgotten feeling.

Do you get that 'new bike smell' included, or is tha t an add-on?

Sorry to hi-jack, but I think it may be relevant to the OP. I just noticed a small oil seep on the left most sump bolt. I checked the tightness and it activates the torque wrench at 25nm which is what it is suppossed to be. I backed it off and tightened to 25nm + a tiny bit for the fairies. Will report back if it is cured.

Sorry to hi-jack, but I think it may be relevant to the OP. I just noticed a small oil seep on the left most sump bolt. I checked the tightness and it activates the torque wrench at 25nm which is what it is suppossed to be. I backed it off and tightened to 25nm + a tiny bit for the fairies. Will report back if it is cured.

Another one with oil leak! Quite disappointing :(
Any picture ? I'll show it to my dealer and will watch that element in particular when I get mine (currently at my dealer, preparing it).

Last edited:
Another one with oil leak! Quite disappointing :(
Any picture ? I'll show it to my dealer and will watch that element in particular when I get mine (currently at my dealer, preparing it).
No picture, sorry. I have a stain on thre garage floor I can snap, but it's all sorted with a slight loosen and and a tweak to recommended torque + a little whisper as the recommended didn't compress the compression washer enough from factory/PDI.

Glad to hear that it was an easy fix !
Still wondering if Triumph does not check the torque screws of the engine (especially their top model), what else could they miss ? This is not reassuring...

Back