Fires in OZ - The Man in the Tin Shed

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
I'm in the middle of a rebuild and so have been in touch with @Neville Lush these past weeks. I thought many of you would want to know that the fires in Australia have hit close to home for some of our members. The brush fires have destroyed homes near Neville, but his home, thankfully, has been spared. There have been tragic loses of life, including the nephew of a friend of Neville's who was a firefighter.

According to new reports the fires continue to intensify. Neville said temps where he is are 41C, which for us Yankees is 106F!

Many of us can have a disconnect from major news that is taking place so far away, so I just thought it should be said, here, that some of our brothers on this site, and there are probably others, are going through a hard time right now. Tune in to your preferred news feed to see just how bad things are there now.

There are a couple of organizations that keep coming up in my search for ways to help, in case you are also interested....

The Australian Red Cross
The Country Fire Service (CFS), which "provides financial assistance to CFS volunteer firefighters and their families who have suffered through death, injury, loss or damage of property while in the line of service."

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 7.11.57 AM.png

Neville did not ask me to create this post, so I hope that he will be OK with me sharing and making the connection to the fires a bit more personal.

Donating would be the best way to really show your support.

Let's all keep these folks in our thoughts and prayers.

@Neville Lush is still up and running, so don't hesitate to contact him if you need his services.

Last edited:
While I am humbled by your concern, what is happening directly to myself and my wife is in reality, inconvenient. Many folk have their belongings/homes/farms wiped out. Our own Ruzzle is in bother in his area as well. Folk have died in the fires and fighting them.One of my best mates nephew was one, as above. This is a gravely serious event across the country.The scale of it is hard to comprehend. Kangaroo Island ( 4500sqkms, 153kms long) as of now is ENTIRELY a fire zone with two towns listed as refuge/safety. Western Australia to NSW, Vic , the whole bloody joint is alight. Locally the cool change we had overnight is turning fire flanks into fronts in places, scary sh1t. Rain and significant rain,is the only thing that will stop the big ones in the East. Thanks for your concern.

I am in South Australia (as is Neville). Whilst we have had it quite bad as has Western Australia, the most serious fires are on the east coast. New South Wales and Victoria are bearing the brunt of the fires. Queensland is not quite as bad at the moment. Remember that this is near the beginning of the fire season. We have a few months to go before the temperature begins to reduce and hopefully some rain falls. Where the fires will hit next is anyone's guess.

By the end of summer this will be by far the most serious fire season ever seen in Australia (if it isn't already). I took a ride through the hills around Adelaide a few days ago. There is a lot of damage. I can't imagine what the east coast is going through. There will be many more deaths and houses burnt yet. Hopefully our members as well as everyone else can stay safe.

Back