Finally at last, Done!

Just to see what kind of power could be achieved with a bone stock looking & sounding bike.

Also the exhaust was going to be a porject on its own (i made my own, first time etc) as i wasn't just bolting on someone else's, and i didn't have the time for it at the time i did the engine work :)
That all sounds a bit Irish, to me.

I’ve been watching this thread and I’m probably gonna step right in the middle of a steaming pile with my comment but here goes.
The horsepower and torque numbers posted are impressive for sure but only attained at 7500 RPM.
I’m pretty sure the fellow riding this bike could care less about numbers. It’s all about the feel which is going to be absolutely awesome.
But I can’t help wondering what are the horsepower and torque numbers in a more “real world” range, say between 2500 and 5500. I think the only time I would ever see 7500 RPM is right before I grenade the engine after missing a gear.

No I did not have the suspension in Stearns, this whole bike is new and ready. I thought I was going to get a softer cushy ride with the new legs but I did not get that. It is just easier to corner and more stable under all conditions.

Mel, you now have one of the most adjustable suspensions possible. As you ride, you will find changes can make the bike feel more the way you want it to feel. Don't be afraid to make them. Often rear shocks are set too stiff in compression for normal road use, so adjust the dampening softer. Back the rebound off to the point of good control and no wallowing as well.

The front is easier. You will feel changes there very easily. Try to keep the two sides even as in the same number of clicks from all the way in. More rebound will help keep a tighter line, but the effect is transient so it is not a cure for driving a bad line. More compression dampening will make the bike smoother on entry and allow you to trail brake harder and further in with confidence. Too stiff with either or both front settings and the bike will feel harsh with little change to how it handles.

Also know that if you adjust for riding in the Tennessee hills that the suspension will be set very different than if you took the bike to a track day and are riding high speed sweepers. There is no one perfect setting for all conditions.

I look forward to seeing your bike again some day. Enjoy!

The higher rpm caught my attention too. That's one of the reasons I wanted to see the dyno sheet. Did you use stock valve springs or upgrade them?

EBB9E4C7-5371-427B-938F-F11E67F827A7.jpeg
I did loose a little torque from 2000-3300 but after that it really is improved. Max hp is of course at the top rpm but if racing or running for a thrill it is there. Overall I’m very pleased. Here’s the sheet .

At the old red line of 6500 we are at nearly 200 hp. The reason I asked for the extra revs was to provide some room to NOT hit the limiter during a max run. At 60 mph in second gear the front will lift.:eek: I haven’t lifted it much at all yet since I need to get to know the bike and only have 55 miles on the new set up.

Mel, you now have one of the most adjustable suspensions possible. As you ride, you will find changes can make the bike feel more the way you want it to feel. Don't be afraid to make them. Often rear shocks are set too stiff in compression for normal road use, so adjust the dampening softer. Back the rebound off to the point of good control and no wallowing as well.

The front is easier. You will feel changes there very easily. Try to keep the two sides even as in the same number of clicks from all the way in. More rebound will help keep a tighter line, but the effect is transient so it is not a cure for driving a bad line. More compression dampening will make the bike smoother on entry and allow you to trail brake harder and further in with confidence. Too stiff with either or both front settings and the bike will feel harsh with little change to how it handles.

Also know that if you adjust for riding in the Tennessee hills that the suspension will be set very different than if you took the bike to a track day and are riding high speed sweepers. There is no one perfect setting for all conditions.

I look forward to seeing your bike again some day. Enjoy!
I have not fooled with it yet and would like some help doing that. Maybe when we get to MV in June you could help?

I am more than a little impressed, here you have someone who can tune a bike how it should be. The little less torque down low is a) negligible and b) a result of the much bigger exhaust cam than I normally use , to help with the HP number using smaller headers. The stock springs are fine to 7000, with these cams. In over ten years, we've never had an issue. Good job Dr D

Last edited:
Back