Fees - buying and keeping a R3 in California

Jan Aarberg

Standard Bore
Ride
2004 Rocket 3
Hi all!

I'm Norwegian and resident in Norway, but plan to buy a Rocket 3 in the United States, keep it at a good friend's in Palm Springs, and use it there when I'm on vacation (about 3 times a year). I'm looking for a 2004 - 2007 model, price range $4-7,000. I have got an offer from Geico re: insurance, but I'm not familiar with the different fees in the United States. Can anyone help me out with the cost of....
- sales tax (California or Arizona)
- registration fee
- license plate fee (annual fee)
- other fee's

Thanks! :)

Hi all!

I'm Norwegian and resident in Norway, but plan to buy a Rocket 3 in the United States, keep it at a good friend's in Palm Springs, and use it there when I'm on vacation (about 3 times a year). I'm looking for a 2004 - 2007 model, price range $4-7,000. I have got an offer from Geico re: insurance, but I'm not familiar with the different fees in the United States. Can anyone help me out with the cost of....
- registration fee
- other fee's

Arizona doesn't have a uniform sales tax. There's state tax, county tax and city tax. Some cities exempt dimeor all if tax in vdhucals. There us no tax on private sales. If your buying from an Arizona dealer have them give you the tax

if u are going to resister in calif you need to make sure it has all the stock pipes/mufflers ect.
i think they are very strict there.
in az sales tax is .087 but no tax if bought from private party.
reg/lic on mine $74.95 that includes the $25 for special plate
geico insurance for year 718.00 and i need to get it down a bit

if u are going to resister in calif you need to make sure it has all the stock pipes/mufflers ect.
i think they are very strict there ....

If bike is already in CA there is no inspection - neither physical or SMOG - just take the reg to the DMV - no need to even take the bike - and pay the fees

Sales Tax is ~ 10% (between State & Local) - they will collect that at first registration
You can figure about $100/yr for the registration - normally the plate will remain with the bike

Last edited:
Hi all!

- registration fee
- other fee's

Not sure of logistics ie if you’d ship from Florida to Cal but for 16k USD you’ll have a 2018 on the road here in FLorida where there is no sales tax ( ie state tax as opposed to Federal tax)
Others may say this is a crazy idea so good luck...what do I know I’m a Brit in Florida
Let me know if I can help. It’s a long story but I’m on my 6 th new bike in 3 years bought from Tampa Triumph. I’ll be able to get you a good deal and I believe the $6k would be delivered to anywhere in USA. Note : I have ZERO vested interest in Tamp Triumph other than probably being thier best customer ever ...for all the wrong reasons ( Bikes stolen etc)
Cheers

Back