Fast idle problem - 07 RIII

Marky Mark

.060 Over
Ride
"Christine" 2007 Rocket III
Hi guys,

My 2007 started idling too fast (2k+) when hot, particularly in traffic - note bike is stock . I've done some research, but there doesn't seem to be any definite fix.

• I removed and cleaned the crank angle sensor, and ran the 12-minute tune, seemed to run better, but didn't fix it.

Is the next step to just replace the TPS, or does this require calibration, etc.? I've also read things about the idle stepper, and when I called the dealer, he mentioned the "idle speed controller", which I hadn't heard of.

I'm concerned about spending $300 on parts and not being fixed. I don't want the bike to sit at the dealer for a month if I can avoid it. The frustrating thing is that the local dealer seems to know less about this bike than I do, and I'm a liberal arts major FFS.....

I have a local independent mechanic who is pretty good and am inclined to trust him over the dealer, since he does a lot of mapping on performance bikes, etc. I do a lot of my own work, as long as it's basic "remove & replace" work, but don't have access to any diagnostic stuff.

Ideas?

Well, it's either something blindingly obvious - like an overly tightly adjusted throttle cable that gets stretched when you turn the bars - or something less obvious but likely, which is the TPS sensor. I haven't experienced issues with that myself but they have been known to go wonky.

Also, this: http://www.r3owners.net/threads/list-of-high-idle-causes-for-mechanic.14092/

Being an '07 your bike likely has the older style TPS if it hasn't been replaced yet. These were known to cause high idle problems and the failure rate on them was relatively high. a 2000 rpm idle is a symptom of this and I would put my money one the TPS. You should get the free TuneEcu software and buy the $20 cable so that you can check things like the TPS voltage for a definitive answer.

Being an '07 your bike likely has the older style TPS if it hasn't been replaced yet. These were known to cause high idle problems and the failure rate on them was relatively high. a 2000 rpm idle is a symptom of this and I would put my money one the TPS. You should get the free TuneEcu software and buy the $20 cable so that you can check things like the TPS voltage for a definitive answer.
My bet is TO is right. when mine went bad it would go into high idle and if I shut it off and restarted it she would idle again. New TPS set it with tuning software do a ISCV reset and away you go. Also take the time to clean and lubricate the throttle stepper motor and the springs/linkage between the throttle bodies.

I'll second that and third that my 08 still had the old version TPS and at 48,000km started playing up, TuneECU software and cable are essential and very to use to set up new TPS and also adjust the ISCV or as your dealer called it "idle speed controller" which is the stepper motor

Thanks for the replies, I'll do the TPS and get the cable. A couple more questions...

• Best source for the cable?

• Where do I (or my mechanic) get the software?

• While am at it, with a stock exhaust, etc. is there any more cheap or free HP to be had via tune?

Thanks for the replies, I'll do the TPS and get the cable. A couple more questions...

• Best source for the cable?

• Where do I (or my mechanic) get the software?

• While am at it, with a stock exhaust, etc. is there any more cheap or free HP to be had via tune?

gets you the software (free). Cables... well, I know that the one made by http://www.lonelec.co.uk is good (has the right chipset in the cable, as the cable is more than a cable it's also a converter that lets a computer and the bike computer talk to each other.) Don't know offhand where to get a cable in the US that's known good, check out the TuneECU site and there may be a suggestion there. No clue about the better-tune-for-an-07, but every R3 Touring owner should definitely remap, easiest way known to man to add 30 hp and more torque to a motorcycle. But that's the Touring that comes from the factory raped and abused by an atrocious de-tune.

No joy.

Mechanic replaced the TPS, adjusted, ran 12 minute tune. Bike was perfect until it got to full temp, then back the 2000rpm idle.

Ideas?

Back