Extending front brake line

elcanaco

It ain't easy being me!
Ride
2008 Rocket III
I've spent an hour reading previous submissions relating to this but can’t find the answer I need. I put a set of the Rivco risers on my bike, adjusted the supplied bracket that Rivco supplies so it would miss the bottom of my triple tree but the line from the cast splitter to the handlebars is a little too tight for my liking. BTW, Rivco instructions tell you to unfasten the throttle cables both at the intake manifold AND at the throttle grip, which I found to be completely unnecessary. After disconnecting at the manifold I simply pulled the throttle cables from the factory routing position and re-routed them behind the steering head without touching the throttle. Back to the brake line, has anyone found an easy way to get 1-2 extra inches for the line from the master cylinder. Since the splitter is cast (i.e. no way to disconnect anything there) am i looking at replacing the entire assembly to both calipers? All ideas welcome.

I don't have the Rivco riser, but I installed longer brake lines to accommodate 6 pot calipers.
I ran 2 longer brake lines from the master cylinder to each caliper.
A double-line banjo bolt with extra aluminum washers connects them to the master.

This eliminated the splitter under the tree.
But, it required some custom brackets to hold the double lines in place.

You have to measure carefully for the longer lines. These guys will fab everything you need:
Motorcycle Brake Line Kits | Spiegler USA

^ I did it the same way he did, I had Rivcos plus 6 pot, wish I would have added an inch to my measurements, make sure it's long enough.

^ I did it the same way he did, I had Rivcos plus 6 pot, wish I would have added an inch to my measurements, make sure it's long enough.
Thanks Tripps and JRock. I have lots of aluminum and stainless to make brackets. Just curious where you look for the longer banjo bolt at the master. Thanks again.

It was years ago, but I'm pretty sure Spiegler supplied everything, I don't remember buying anything else.

Search that web site. I do believe they supply the double banjo, plus they make the lines with any angle fitting to the caliper you want.

Use a rubber tube with diameter close to the brake lines to measure the new lines.
I didn't do it right the first time and wasted cash on a second set.
The first too-short set was zip-tied to the forks. Ugly, but it worked ;-)

I posted a how to with pics, it's currently installed as in photos on my bike.

It's 1 fitting and 1 line.

You remove the line that runs from the MC to the splitter under the tank. The install the adaptor on the splitter, and install the new braided line from adaptor to MC.

All told about 1 hours work and $30. The lines are already braided steel internally, so, there's zero performance gain with the full replacement kits, but they do look great!!

See this thread:
How to: Extend brake line on ABS bikes (cheap)

Last edited:
Thanks Tripps and JRock. I have lots of aluminum and stainless to make brackets. Just curious where you look for the longer banjo bolt at the master. Thanks again.

Same as @JRock and @Tripps.

Run a line to each caliper, I used Hel brakelines and fittings, just went to a local car speedshop and got the lot, after some careful measuring, then going back and getting the right length :banghead: they were sweet. Much easier to bleed too. Good service and not expensive.

I got them to fit two different mounting options on each line then cut off the one I didn't want (they were two hours drive away). The clamp I opted for was a plastic slider. One side bolted in the existing point, the other side I drilled and tapped the bottom of the triple tree in the same position and it now looks like it was made like that.

The banjos and everything were SS and I opted for the carbon fiber look hoses

I used to go with the 6 pot Pretech [note: Pretech doesn't show calipers for Touring on their site, but they DO have them - just ask] calipers. The HEL was available in multiple sheath colors, and I went with red to compliment the bike (and red SAMCO hoses).

Last edited:
Back