New Brakes, front and rear.

Paul Bryant

Living Legend
Ride
2006 Rocket
I've been playing !
I've fitted a pair of Pretech six pot calipers to the front on the Artrax disc's, and a stock front L/H caliper on an EBC cast Iron rear disc.

Interesting details;
The Pretech calipers have 12% less piston area than the stock 4 pot Calipers, but 14% more pad area.
The hydraulic ratio of the 2 stock 4 pot calipers to the stock (pre Roadster) 14 mm Master cylinder is 41.90 to 1
With the Pretech 6 pot calipers this comes back to 36.72 to 1.
The extra pad area makes the difference.

The stock four pot front caliper mounted on the rear with the stock Master Cylinder gives 104% increase in the hydraulic ratio, so effectively doubling the rear brake power.

Out on the road both front and rear brakes are noticeable more powerful, which means less hand or foot pressure is required for the same amount of braking.
Front brake is a one finger operation.
The rear, as I said above requires a lot less foot pressure.

Where I found the stock rear brake lacking was in high speed, rapid slow downs, (200 down to 100 KPH) this required a fair bit of foot pressure.
This new set up is a thought process .... "How much do I need to brake" a little more ? Think a little harder.

Overall, a significant improvement in the braking.

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1772A.jpg

20190908_131437A1.jpg

Below, the road I was playing on today.

IMG_1776.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent work Paul
Are you doing any measured braking tests?

Always have liked your rear conversion.

I can already lock my rear (it has the Classic floorboards and foot lever). I wonder if the roadster pedal etc is less efficient?

Front. Those discs are quite mind-boggling to look at. Pretech - nuff said.

The road - :D

I love the front discs. I have the Pretechs on my touring, I like the similar to stock initial feel and bite, but under heavy braking more stopping power. The Touring almost has too much rear brake stock, super easy to lock them. I am curious how much modification it took to fit a front to the rear, though?

I'm curious, do you use different size pads? From where?

Tripps, In the front six pots I'm using the pads that came with the calipers which are from EBC.
On the rear with the stock front left caliper fitted I'm using a "different to stock" pad material as I'm running an EBC Iron disc on the rear, but they are still the same size.
The rear pad packet is down in the workshop, I'll come back to you on that in a couple of hours.

Your comment that the Beringer front disc's are Iron was interesting, I didn't know that.
I did ask EBC if that made Iron front Rotors (since they had made the rear Rotor) but they did not.

Six pot pads, this is what Pretech supplied.

20190807_131339.jpg

Back