seeya

Supercharged
looking to do some mod to my rocket. Seems there are a lot of motorheads on here so I'm asking for some info. I don't know what tune is in my bike, I know it runs very good. Can i elimate the cat or" clean out" without tuneboy?? Will it increase torque/power?? will it cause popping?? will the ECM adjust???? What are the positives and what are the negative???

Thanks

There are a jillion threads on here that cover this well.

I run Triumph's "Off-Road" (TORs) exhaust with Triumph's cat by-pass and use a DynoJet PC-III for the correct fuel map. Triumph also has they're own fuel map for this set up, so you don't "need" the PC-III or TuneBoy, however Triumph's fuel map for this set up has been known to cause popping. The only negative I have is my MPG dropped from 38 or so to about 35, but the extra kick and sound of the triple are addicting, so I won't be going back to stock anytime soon.. :)

The ECM may be able to adjust if you use the cat by-pass and leave stock mufflers, but it will not be able to adjust for the cat by-pass and aftermarket muffers or Triumph's TORs. The freer flowing exhaust will cause your bike to run much leaner and require more fuel to run properly. This is where the different Triumph fuel maps, or TuneBoy, or DynoJet PC-III come in.

Last edited:
cat reducing exhaust....

the information here is very helpful. Now my question is, does anybody know where i can find any CAT reducing exhaust systems? any brands in particular, websites, etc.???

I have links to almost all of the aftermarket systems available in this link..

Link Removed

The D&D and Jardine eliminate the cat box, all others pretty much require a cat bypass which Triumph sells. It pretty much boils down to how much money you want to spend and what look you want.

looking to do some mod to my rocket. Seems there are a lot of motorheads on here so I'm asking for some info. I don't know what tune is in my bike, I know it runs very good. Can i elimate the cat or" clean out" without tuneboy?? Will it increase torque/power?? will it cause popping?? will the ECM adjust???? What are the positives and what are the negative???

Thanks

Let me guess you've already derived an answer??
My first, and proudly a good decision, performace upgrade was a "silencer upgrade", also known as putting the cat on the shelf or letting the balls have room to breath, and I've gotten the single lowest cost power boost. That and a TuneBoy tune and my Tourer runs like a scalded cougar. That's with natural bologna muffs and my fatass. Add another 225 when the wife and gear are aboard and this beast, the FBG, still has all the power my wife is comfortable with :D little does she know ;)

Dump the cat and do a 12 minute tune. That's all that's necessary to realize a significant difference!!!

Last edited:
I later, much later, added a TuneBoy. For several reasons as detailed on the Tuneboy site. And for every reason Listed I wanted that fix. Pus there is a never ending participation from the many "motorheads" herein and over on the dark site that have added to the means to make the beast into a monster bike.

Which brings me to the question of, who owns the title: "The Original Web Forum for the Triumph Rocket III"?

Back