Ergonomics finally right, whew!

BuffaloR3

.060 Over
As with many folks here (assumed from the number of posts on this topic) I have been struggling with the ergonomics since day one. The bike (06 standard) was fine for short runs but anything over an hour and I would have back pain for the rest of the day. First step was to loosen up the shocks a bit, I noticed a difference in the ride the first time I rode 2-up, the extra weight smoothed out the ride, simple step to take and a small improvement. The next issue was the seat, this bike came with a low-rider seat, putting on a stock seat made a big difference by lifting me up a bit (side note: FS standard low rider seat). The big lingering problem was the handlebar position, I always felt I was reaching down for the bars and was riding in a hunched position (6'2", long torso). The bike came with classic and standard bars, the classic brings things back a bit but it wasn't quite enough. After some headaches I just got done with installing the Rivco risers (that stupid bracket to clear the radiator is very frustrating and like others I wound up getting new brake lines (+3") as they were just too tight for my liking - side note: FS steel braided stock replacement lines) and what a difference! It was actually a little too much of an adjustment and i went back to the standard bars. It has taken me almost the entire season but I just got back from a 3 hour ride and no cramps or pain.

Moral of the story is that it is possible to get the ergonomics correct, just keep working on it.

Second moral of the story is if you are 6'2" tall don't buy a bike from a guy who stands 5'5" unless you are willing to put in the effort to correct the ride.

i just got back from a short little run, put on about 900 miles. I have the almost exact same build you have 6'2" long upper torso arangatang arms about 220 pds. I have been experementing for a couple years.. Went with rivco boards, took them off and went back to pegs, had standard bars then go rivco risers and honda valkarie bars and much better, they were a little to far back for my taste kept, my hips were always riding forward so took off the risers before my ride and much better. I'm thinking a set of buckhorns would work better though so the angle on my wrist wasn't as angled. and am still debating on the triumph classic floorboards.

And to think, short people want to be taller. I guess not so here. I have found that the floor boards (Triumph's boards) are very comfortable. I have them on both my bikes. I also have the highway bars with the highway pegs. Adjust them to where you want. This could be a possibility for you.

Back