Engine oil transferring into void

I think we all have an oil level story….
my 2020 R3, i had it delivered and not knowing about this bike. Started reading this forum and the manual.
I checked my oil per procedures in the manual, and the level was 2in above the full mark.
So I started pulling oil out of the oil tank. I removed 6oz (US) I don’t do Metric…….
Next day checked again, no change. Pulled out 6oz more. Took a ride, checked again…. Pulled out 6oz more,
when I got done, I had pulled out 24oz of oil. Still high on the dip stick. Completed 1st oil change at 636mi. Oil was 1qt over full.
put in the 4.8 qt, run for 1.5min, let set 3min. Oil level right in the middle of the good range.
Added the last two tenths. (5qt total) and now when I check it, right in the middle on the dip stick.
and now I check the oil the same way. And it is always in the middle.
my thoughts on this ? The dealership would prep this R3 before every test ride. The bike only had 13-miles
on it. I watched them push it back to service department, to check the bike before I road it.
and then it was running warm ready to go.
So every time they checked the oil, without running it first it was not reading on the dip stick… (add oil)
These dealerships know a little bit about all brands but not enough about one brand. Unless it is warranty
work, I will never let them work on my bike, I never have….. At 75MPH I’m the only one accountable.
Wow, l was wordy today….
God bless & Be safe to all !

Last edited:
I'd checked my oil about a month ago (per the instructions in the manual) and it was at the very bottom of the dip stick. I wasn't too concerned about it at the time given the large capacity of this dry sump system. I ordered some 15W50 Amsoil and today checked it again. Today though I checked it prior to starting the engine and it was nearly half way up the normal range on the dipstick. When I checked it again after the 90s engine run (and waiting the 3 minutes), it wasn't even visible on the dipstick at all. I added 1/2 quart and did another 90s idle and after waiting the appropriate 3 minutes, the oil level was now at about 30% between the low and high marks (and was very repeatable through multiple checks). I'd never checked it cold and without running the engine before, does that make sense that it would be much higher up the dipstick in that condition?

I'd checked my oil about a month ago (per the instructions in the manual) and it was at the very bottom of the dip stick. I wasn't too concerned about it at the time given the large capacity of this dry sump system. I ordered some 15W50 Amsoil and today checked it again. Today though I checked it prior to starting the engine and it was nearly half way up the normal range on the dipstick. When I checked it again after the 90s engine run (and waiting the 3 minutes), it wasn't even visible on the dipstick at all. I added 1/2 quart and did another 90s idle and after waiting the appropriate 3 minutes, the oil level was now at about 30% between the low and high marks (and was very repeatable through multiple checks). I'd never checked it cold and without running the engine before, does that make sense that it would be much higher up the dipstick in that condition?

That doesn't make any sense to me either.
If u would can u check the oil after the 90s of running with engine running then turn it off and keep an eye on it to see what it does.

That doesn't make any sense to me either.
If u would can u check the oil after the 90s of running with engine running then turn it off and keep an eye on it to see what it does.
Well this morning I checked again cold (before start) and it was almost half way up the normal range.
Tried to check it running but there was oil all over the stick when I pulled it out, so too much spray as it gets pulled out I suppose.
Checked it at about 1 minute after shut-off and it was at ~25% of normal range
Checked it at about 2 minutes after shut-off and it was at about 15% of normal range
Checked it 3 minutes after shut-off and it was just above the bottom of the normal range.

This really doesn't make any sense to me so I assume I just wasn't being careful enough with a repeatable process. I'll try again this weekend being more careful. My take-away though is that we're trying to guage very small changes with a tool that wasn't designed to measure that. As long as it's in the normal range, I'm content.

Well this morning I checked again cold (before start) and it was almost half way up the normal range.
Tried to check it running but there was oil all over the stick when I pulled it out, so too much spray as it gets pulled out I suppose.
Checked it at about 1 minute after shut-off and it was at ~25% of normal range
Checked it at about 2 minutes after shut-off and it was at about 15% of normal range
Checked it 3 minutes after shut-off and it was just above the bottom of the normal range.

This really doesn't make any sense to me so I assume I just wasn't being careful enough with a repeatable process. I'll try again this weekend being more careful. My take-away though is that we're trying to guage very small changes with a tool that wasn't designed to measure that. As long as it's in the normal range, I'm content.

thanks for info just trying to get a handle on whats happening to try and help the guys that r having trouble with oil disappearing.
if i go riding i am going to try and see if maurice will let me check the oil on his machine a couple of times.

thanks for info just trying to get a handle on whats happening to try and help the guys that r having trouble with oil disappearing.
if i go riding i am going to try and see if maurice will let me check the oil on his machine a couple of times.
Sure can can check it! What can go wrong! Maybe we will discover I also have this Black Hole void!

You 2 can "check each others oil AS much as you 2 like" but i believe the OP has a 2.5 version rocket.....May be of a different species :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops::oops::oops:

Back