Electrical Gremlins Part 4

Plunger disc and contacts, like Turbo said, everything you need, only problem is it ships from England, so takes a little time to get here. You can try cleaning up yours with emery cloth and compressed air.
I already cleaned mine up real good with a little rotary stone and blew it out with compressed air when I was replacing the starter motor. I may end up ordering the repair kit anyway. Thanks for all the help guys.

That is standard with pretty much every modern Triumph of the last 20+ years
You MUST pull the clutch, even in Neutral.

It sounds potentially like clutch switch issue to me

One useful clue:
Do the headlights go off if you actually hold in the starter button (even though the starter fails to run)?
I bypassed the clutch safety switch on mine, but not the kickstand or neutral safeties. The only time this would cause an issue is if you're on the bike with it in gear and the kickstand up, in which case the bike would jump when you tried to start it. Because Triumph has the kickstand safety and neutral safety, it still won't start with the kickstand down if it's in gear, but now I don't have to hold the clutch in to start it if the kickstand is down and it's in neutral.

I bypassed the clutch safety switch on mine, but not the kickstand or neutral safeties. The only time this would cause an issue is if you're on the bike with it in gear and the kickstand up, in which case the bike would jump when you tried to start it. Because Triumph has the kickstand safety and neutral safety, it still won't start with the kickstand down if it's in gear, but now I don't have to hold the clutch in to start it if the kickstand is down and it's in neutral.

Crossing/shorting the clutch switch has been known to cause running problems and also fuel gauge problems.

Crossing/shorting the clutch switch has been known to cause running problems and also fuel gauge problems.
I've been set up like this for years and don't have a fuel gauge. If I remember right, it was shorted with the handle out, so I just needed to cut the one lead open. I'd have to double-check, but it's never caused any trouble that I can tell.

I've been set up like this for years and don't have a fuel gauge. If I remember right, it was shorted with the handle out, so I just needed to cut the one lead open. I'd have to double-check, but it's never caused any trouble that I can tell.
I'd highly suggest you read this thread...

On page 3 you'll see a list of 13 things that depend on the clutch switch functioning, including the fuel gauge. When you said you bypassed the switch, I knew right off that you didn't have a working fuel gauge.

Back