WildBill

.060 Over
Ride
'13 Rocket 3 Touring,'98 Trident 900,'06 Scrambler
I recently took a 9 day trip up to Canada. Made a loop up through Idaho, southern British Columbia, southern Alberta, as far north as Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Montana, Idaho panhandle and home. Before I left I checked my Avon Cobra Chrome tires and decided I had plenty of tread to do the trip, knowing that I would be needing to replace them when I got home. The combination of fully loaded bike, extreme heat in BC and chip seal roads shortened the life of the rear tire considerably. I was down to the wear bars by the time I got to Saskatoon and didn't trust it to get me home. There were no Avon's in any of the shops in Saskatoon but one shop had a 180/70/R16 Dunlop Elite 4 which is the correct stock size so I bought it and had it installed. MAYBE the Avon would have got me home but the piece of mind was worth it. It's pretty empty in Saskatchewan and Montana and being stuck on the side of the road (or worse) for hours didn't appeal to me. After all that preamble, my question is: Has anybody run Elite 4's on their touring? When I got home I searched Dunlop's site and they say the Elite 4 isn't a fit for my bike??? It has a good load rating and feels good going down the road.

Supposed to be 18-20000
The rear Cobra Chrome had 8700 on it when I changed it out which was far better than the Metzlers that came on the bike. The last set of Avons had 9600 when I changed them out. It'll be interesting to see what I can get out of this Elite 4.

Back