driveshaft questions and others

snicrep

Supercharged
Ride
08 r3 touring
im new to r3s. i already have post regarding re-mapping. (i have a touring ed.). This is my first bike with a driveshaft so im not sure how it should sound or feel. it seem i can feel a rumble feel at slow speed cold that seems to go away when warmer. at speeds over 75 it seems i feel a little rumble. nothing terrible just not "smooth". I plan to put it up on a jack next week and spin the wheel. ill start researching pulling the shaft to check for grease. i have no maint records. it has 31000 miles (2008).
secondly, ive noticed it smells a little rich in the exhuast. the idle seems to waver up and down alittle bit at times. and after a 25 mile ride while in 3rd or 4th gear low rpm it seems to be missing a little but when you gave it throttle it would accelerate ok. Gonna read the plugs on that one. Im throwing all this at the wall and see what people come up with.
thanks.

Check plugs yes, also check the low tension lead feeding the coils the female spade connectors loosen up and will give you a erratic miss ya can't chase down. Its a 08 so start thinking about installing new vacuum lines and the nipple plug caps. You do not need to pull the drive shaft just the bevel box on the rear one shock bolt 4 bevel box bolts. You'll see the drive shaft splines grease the. And the internal cup on the box. I leave a blob in the bottom of the cup. This is a good time to renew the bevel box oil. Watch out not to over torque the drain plug its hollow and filled with a magnet so it strips the threads off easily. The fill plug is higher torque and much beefier. While your down there clean the positive to the starter and pull the crank angle sensor and wipe it off clean. Its a magnetic pick up so it can collect some trash. There will only be a table spoon of oil coming out when you do this. 30,000 miles you should check the drop measurement on the auto tensioner plunger (never turn motor over when the centre bolt is out of the tensioner.) If the plunger drop is 16 mm its time to add the spacer to bring the spring tension back up to specifications.

Check plugs yes, also check the low tension lead feeding the coils the female spade connectors loosen up and will give you a erratic miss ya can't chase down. Its a 08 so start thinking about installing new vacuum lines and the nipple plug caps. You do not need to pull the drive shaft just the bevel box on the rear one shock bolt 4 bevel box bolts. You'll see the drive shaft splines grease the. And the internal cup on the box. I leave a blob in the bottom of the cup. This is a good time to renew the bevel box oil. Watch out not to over torque the drain plug its hollow and filled with a magnet so it strips the threads off easily. The fill plug is higher torque and much beefier. While your down there clean the positive to the starter and pull the crank angle sensor and wipe it off clean. Its a magnetic pick up so it can collect some trash. There will only be a table spoon of oil coming out when you do this. 30,000 miles you should check the drop measurement on the auto tensioner plunger (never turn motor over when the centre bolt is out of the tensioner.) If the plunger drop is 16 mm its time to add the spacer to bring the spring tension back up to specifications.
real good info. i would have probably pulled the back wheel. ill check out those tasks on youtube to get familiar. also i need to get a manual. thanks

Your going to be pulling the back wheel. Axle has to be removed to remove bevel box. I would check all the wheel bearings. A slight rumble on take off is a good sign that your wheel beatings are shot. So is the low speed deal. Locktite make a grease that suits the bevel box splines. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Your going to be pulling the back wheel. Axle has to be removed to remove bevel box. I would check all the wheel bearings. A slight rumble on take off is a good sign that your wheel beatings are shot. So is the low speed deal. Locktite make a grease that suits the bevel box splines. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I see that now. Very little on youtube. Theres one guy (british) who has a bad seal and disassembles it. Thats well within my skill set to do. So thats in my future.

Back