Sidecar Flip said:
VonBonds:

Some of the guys on the Bonneville forum are old farts that ride real hard, especially the guys from NYC. Lots of sliders worn off on the Dragon. Kids at heart, maybe.

I believe you! I am sure some of them have passed me too on the Dragon and other fun roads :).

The Dragon is nothing to be afraid of. The people who have had their parts tossed on the Tree of Shame just rode over their heads. If you have a Star(or whatever) you should know your bikes limitations and not try to Rossi this road. Coming from Colorado where we have a ton of twisties to play with also I found the Dragon to be a fun little road. Go out and enjoy it. Yes the road gets damp,slow down,yes there's faster riders let them pass....:bch:

I always ride my own ride. And my own ride changes. Sometimes I feel it and am fluid and can rip up the twisties. Other days I slow down to 65 on a flat straight Interstate. One thing I have found in the Rocket, it was a little difficult to negotiate the hairpins and corkscrews on Needles Hwy in the Black Hills, but the torque of the Rocket always got me out of any trouble when I needed it.

The R3 can hold it's own in the Dragon. I followed my buddy on his FZ1 through and kept right on his butt. Got passed by one sport bike. Going during the week instead of the weekend is great advice. Here I am trying to look fast. Go to killboy.com to see each weeks pics from the Dragon.

Last edited:
Thanks Raymond. If you come this way, also try 276 from the parkway towards Cruso, and 151 from the parkway towards Candler. Just as curvy as the Dragon, and going straight down the mountain at the same time.. Also the Wayah road that runs through the Nantahala gorge between 64 and 74. In August the state had tarred and graveled part of the way, so be careful, but it is one of the prettiest rides there is.

I am definatly setting my sites on a westernly course for next year. Would love to try out the black hills.

Wilbur T, I am trying to plan a trip in October to travel to Atlanta to meet by best friend who lives in Savannah. He is picking up his new Harley, and then we are going to ride into NC. I will definatly note the routes you suggested. Thanks. And if you want to ride the Black Hills next year...STURGIS 2007.

Back