Do you remember your first ride?

350 Bridgestone, buddy insisted it was no different than riding a bicycle, bike shot out from under me and fell on it's side. So not actually a ride. Second time was a cb750, went better until I dumped it turning a corner on gravel.

I published the following story in 2011 in my first book (now out of print) so for those interested, here it is again..... "Yamaha Wipeout Artist"

I was sitting with Monte the other day, we were talking bikes and when we started riding and other sundry bits to while away our time at lunch. Since neither of us was feeling particularly proactive about work, reminiscing over rides of the past seemed like a good way to let the clock roll to 12:30. Unfortunately we worked in a cube farm and someone always manages to break the post lunch reverie with something pressing, like real work, so we were forced to kill the rest of the day being productive (much to our chagrin).
This led me to thinking about my first real bike, a 1974 Yamaha XS 650. It was 1976 and I was in the market for a car at the time and was shopping at some of the local dealers for a decent used vehicle. Since I was in college at the time I could only afford something sporty and fashionable found at one of those ‘corner’ car lots. Usually these types of dealers have a plethora of cars suitable for the scrap metal pile as well as some that are not so good. I was in need of some reliable transportation and hence was maintaining a jaundiced eye peeled on the local used car market.

On my drive to school in Manhattan, KS I would go through Ogden, Ks on the east side of Fort Riley. Ogden was a military community in that there were mobile homes out numbering homes on foundations by about 60 to 1. The drive through town center had some bars, liquor stores; auto parts shops, more liquor stores, bars and a car dealer at the far eastern edge of town. It was to this dealership I wandered in one afternoon in October looking for some transportation. The cars were all pretty unspectacular. Mostly he had vintage 1960’s hardware and a few repossessed 1970’s models. It was my habit in those days to pull the dipstick to see if the dealer had bothered to change the oil. On the repo cars they had indeed, and that made seeing the shiny bits of metal floating in the oil on the stick easier to see. It was during this hunt around his lot he took me to his shop to show me some cars not yet serviced. When we got into that building I noted some motorcycles sitting off in the back of the shop.
One bike that caught my attention was a XS 650 Yamaha. It looked positively huge compared to the other bikes. That’s because the other bikes were 250cc and 350cc street machines. I was enthralled and asked how much he was asking for the bikes. He quoted me prices and that put my brain into high gear. Somehow the whole quest for a car disappeared in a haze of daydreaming about riding around on a motorcycle. It was the call of the open road the mesmerizing effect of owning a ‘chick magnet’ the power to weight, the freedom, the exuberance, and the fact I was in my twenties and completely deranged. All those things added together to make my purchase decision leap from four wheels to two. The only real obstacle of course was actually paying for it.

I was on the G.I. Bill going to school and I was working part time at a sporting goods store in downtown Manhattan. The money from the government came in 12 months a year and the money from the job came in every two weeks, so as a college student I was comparatively wealthy because I could afford more than Ramen noodles. But the excess of largess wasn’t so extensive that I could plunk down the coin of the realm on a used motorcycle without first saving a bit. As any college student will attest, if you are at the end of the month and have more than loose change jingling in your pocket, you’re either dreaming or wish you were.

So I went on a savings campaign to purchase that XS 650, that included not eating lunch (which went really well with not eating breakfast), not paying for exotic luxuries like car insurance and putting as many hours at the part time job as possible thus reducing the annoyance of attending class. All this put my coffers into the black pretty quickly and by mid March I was in a position to actually buy that XS. The fly in the ointment would be if they had sold it during the intervening months. So it was that I again traveled to the dealership on the outskirts of Ogden and inquired if they still had any motorcycles. Indeed they did, and low and behold they had an XS 650. It was the same bike only now covered in a thick blanket of dust. And the price? Well that was the same as well, so I had enough money to actually make the deal, sign on the dotted line, acquire, possess and own the bike. I was ecstatic, I was thrilled, and I was an idiot.

During my lusting, saving, planning, scheming, plotting and starving to acquire the bike I had not actually learned how to ride a motorcycle. I had gotten out of the US Army with a laundry list of qualifications for driving everything from a forklift to a 5-ton tactical tractor-trailer fifth wheel and everything in between. When I applied for a driver license the Kansas Highway Patrol dude asked if I wanted a motorcycle endorsement on my license, I said ‘sure’ only because I liked the idea of someday riding a bike. But at the time I had as much hope of owning a bike as Richard Nixon did of becoming Pope. So I had the license in my pocket and zero skills in my hands so I was ready as Custer for a Lakota Sioux meet and greet. I was of course relying on my memory of riding motorcycles when I was in middle school and high school. Those experiences were garnered from friends that had motorcycles and would stop by to show off their rides. They would let me putt-putt around the street in first gear to show how great it was. During those halcyon trips I was riding bikes as small as 90cc and as massive as 185cc. Heady indeed.

Our next-door neighbors at the time were an eclectic family from the old South. And they had four boys, all of whom had mopeds as kids then graduated to motorcycles when they got into high school. So I got to ride behind people that rode. My older brother Mark spent a summer in Junction City, Kansas working for my uncle (his too) and took all his earnings and invested it wisely into a 1966 Honda CB350 Dream. I rode ***** to school for an entire year on the back of Mark's Honda. So I was imminently aware of how to ride (with the possible exception of actually using any of the controls). I knew how to lean with not against, I understood holding onto the seat strap and not the driver. I had mastered the stop so helmets don’t click and all manner of what the passenger is supposed to do. I was readily equipped for the front seat by golly.
So in late March 1976 I found myself signing the papers for a used 1974 Yamaha XS 650.

After we concluded our deal, money had changed hands and paperwork signed for title we strolled from the office across the highway to the shop to roll the bike out and get it running. To this point I had not actually even seen the bike running and it only then crossed my mind that maybe I should have actually spent a little time making sure I was buying something I could actually use. The lusts for ownership had given me such tunnel vision that logic and common sense had disappeared in my myopia for simple acquisition. Owning the bike had surmounted the reality of riding the bike. To ride the bike meant the motor had to run (unless I was willing to paddle walk it everywhere). So now was the moment of truth. The guy put the key in the ignition and switched on. The green neutral indicator came on (a good sign). He hit the starter lever, nothing (not so good a sign). He turned the ignition off and back on and tried again with the same result.

Last edited:
Now I’m beginning to have a panic attack. I had just spent months of starvation and mediocre grades on a bike that wouldn’t start. The dealer pulled the kick-starter out and then romped down on it. The engine roared to life (almost causing a loss of bowel accident from me). This thing sounded like a freight train on steroids. I would later conclude the lack of any restriction in the mufflers would be part of why it had that unique cacophony of mechanical distress. The bike was running a nice lumpy idle that only a parallel twin can do when it’s poorly carbureted. I was nearly peeing my pants. It was running, it made tremendous noise, and I owned it. It doesn’t get any better. I could have remained enraptured but I noted the dealer was beginning to show signs of wanting me off his lot (likely so he could slink away under cover of darkness). So now it came to it, I had to ride the bike home.

This is when I planned on using those exiguous skills garnered from so many hours of riding shotgun on a motorcycle. Plus I had the added benefit of knowing where first gear was from riding school friends 90’s and 185’s. I was I thought quite capable of knocking this thing into gear and riding it home. I felt that because I knew where the other gears could be found even though I had never actually rowed through a gearbox in search of them. So I paddle walked the bike to the driveway exit and monitored traffic to determine the departure time. The dealer was left talking with his shop wrench hand as I waited for traffic heading east to clear. I sat blipping the throttle to ensure the bike wouldn’t die and enjoyed the rush each time the motor exploded into another discharge of spent fuel and noxious fumes. When the last car was clear I was free to navigate the roads home.

That’s when it would have been handy to actually have ridden a motorcycle in more than one gear. But that hadn’t happened.
What did happen was, as I let the clutch out slowly the bike moved forward with an alarming pace. I knew not to dump the clutch because it would kill the engine so I wound up the gas to prevent killing the engine and I was now rocketing across the highway. I let go of the clutch and I was now headed into the oncoming traffic lanes (2 each). I was leaned over to the right trying to get the bike back on my side of the road as I was rushing headlong east in the westbound lane. I also noted that my throttle was now at the max, the engine was screaming for mercy and so I did the only thing possible under those circumstances. I shifted to second gear. In retrospect I can say that was probably not the sanest move I’ve ever made, and that’s by a pretty fair margin. Because what happened was it shot me over to the far west bound lane in about 2 heartbeats tilted to a nice 50 degrees to the right. On-coming traffic was becoming acutely aware of my presence but was demonstrating a remarkable degree of confusion as to where the accident wouldn’t be.

I on the other hand was demonstrating a remarkable degree of confusion as to how not to adorn the hood of a late model Chevrolet headed for me. So I gave it more gas. That helped a lot. That spun the bald rear tire and dropped me onto the road like cow poop hitting the flat rock only I was sliding at a phenomenal rate of speed east (normally cow poop goes in all directions at a phenomenal rate). I was sliding and the bike was sliding and the on-coming cars were starting to resemble a covey of quail looking for a clear flight path. This was a lot more fun than I would have guessed my meager cash account would have gotten. This was beyond my wildest expectations for enjoying the open road; I was getting the open road literally imbedded in me. I was just hoping I would have time to save my bike before it became a casualty of my ignorance. After all it wasn’t the bikes fault I’m an idiot.

By the time I came to rest on-coming traffic was about 200 yards from a date with destiny and lots of explaining to the local constabulary. The bike had come to rest about 20 feet from where I finally imbedded my final cinder, so I surmised I had time to get the bike out of harm’s way by only a few seconds. It’s interesting what fear and panic will do for your will to survive, it’s less interesting what it does to your under garments. In the fast-forward stop motion world my brain inhabited I saw myself jump up and run over to my stricken bike. I then picked the bike up and tucked it under my right arm for safekeeping and ran across 4 lanes of highway back to the dealship’s entrance. Once there I put the bike down and started to sort myself out. I put the kickstand down and started to see what damage I had wrought on my new (to me) motorcycle.
The dealer walked over as casual as though he was going for his morning paper and said, “I’d have paid good money to see that,” then he started laughing hysterically. I became concerned he actually would need some medical attention due to a catastrophic rupture of one or both of his sides. I was concerned of course with my new bike and if I had now permanently damaged it. That I was permanently damaged was not a concern because I was only scuffed up to the point of searing pain. No worries. I did make me curious however as to what was so amusing to him that he was now completely disabled from coherent speech. I thought about it for some time and when his gales of laughing began to subside I felt compelled to inquire what he had found so amusing from my distressful state.

“I’d have paid money to see someone pick up a motorcycle and run with it under their arm!”

He began laughing again as though the memory had hit anew and he was again doubled over in laughter. Well funny or not I was in a real pickle, I had a busted up bike and all my money was pretty much shot. After a closer inspection of the damage I noted that most of the damage was cosmetic, mirror, brake lever, throttle grip, right foot peg, rear turn indicator and that was about it.

“Can you fix the bike?” I asked with resignation.

“Sure,” he said between fits of ha’s, “I’ve got some spare parts I can put on, you can pick it up to-to-tomorrow,” as he erupted into hysteria once again.

Boy I wish I had been there to see what was so funny because that dude was totally tore up by it. I always love a funny show myself, only I hadn’t seen any. My bicycle-riding jacket was pretty torn up by the whole episode and my jeans were now fashionable (only that fashion wasn’t for another twenty years). I got back in my car (a 1966 Impala, which is why I was looking for a car in the first place) and sat there for about twenty minutes running everything through my head. I was endeavoring to come up with something plausible as to why I resembled a ‘Don’t Drive Drunk’ ad campaign poster child for my folks. (I lived at home while getting my degree). I came up with a brilliant and completely credible story, but it relied too much on forestry equipment to be plausible, so I was left with telling the mundane version, the truth.

In retrospect I was most upset about tearing up my bicycle jacket. My father owned and operated a bicycle shop in Junction City and he had given that jacket to me as remuneration for labor (rather than owing me a wage). That jacket represented several months’ worth of work and now the sleeve piping was ripped off as well as the sleeve. The right side hand pocket was somewhere blowing around Ogden and only God knows where my pens ended up. My jeans weren’t that big a deal. Most of my wardrobe of denim had holes in them from various activities, some including a chain saw in pastures (where the forestry angle was handy but unusable). The fact that I also was carrying a pretty good load of cinders in my epidermis made the whole logging angle seem far-fetched. Otherwise I could easily say I walked through a chipper-shredder and they would have believed it. But they would be suspicious about the rocks and beer bottle bits encrusting my flesh.

The next day I had my dad drive me over to Ogden to pick up my bike before I had to be in class. That way I wouldn’t have to worry about picking my car up and he could see why I was picking Budweiser bits out of my hide. We got to the dealership about 10 AM and the wind was kicking up pretty good. The dealer was happy (if not hysterical) to see me. The bike was as promised, repaired. It now had mismatched mirrors, a new bent brake lever, rusty rear turn signal indicator, and electrical taped grip. Sweet. I turned the ignition switch and gave the bike a little kick. The bike responded by kicking me back with a loud ‘CHUFF’ from the exhaust. I then gave it a resounding kick and it almost pitched me over the bars when the kicker hit bottom and kicked back.

The dealer said, “you may want to pull the compression release lever before you do that.”

Compression release? Really? “OK, where’s that?”

He pointed to the tertiary lever on the right side that was the starter lever for the bike. Hmmnn, go figure. With the lever pulled the bike started on the first kick. Well isn’t that a hoot. My dad had seen enough (or was disgusted, either way he left). Now that the only way home was by two-wheel transport, repeating the previous days antics really wasn’t an option I was willing to go for. With the bike idling like a steel drum half full of scrap iron careening down a mountainside I was left to ponder how to proceed in the face of certainty. I was certain I was going to be creamed by traffic, or at least pounded to a pulp. Either way it wasn’t real pleasant.

This time as I waited for traffic to clear I shunned sitting perpendicular to traffic (approach from the previous day) and instead aimed the bike into the flow of traffic I would be traveling with. Since I was on the south side of the highway, aiming the bike east into the flow of traffic only required my head be mounted to an owl’s spine to see traffic. Then I remembered I had mirrors for that, and that was much easier than trying to be Linda Blair in the Exorcist. When traffic had sufficiently cleared (the road had no cars coming for about a mile) I deemed it time for a slower, safer departure. So I eased the clutch out like molasses running over dry ice and the bike began to gain momentum. After a few minutes I was clear of his entrance by a few yards, and traffic behind me was gaining ominously. But I was upright and moving in the desired direction so I gave it more gas. The bike responded by gaining more speed. Not wanting to over extend my competency I waited until I was on K-18 highway before I gave it serious gas. The speed limit was 55 mph and I was under that by a bit. I finally had the motor up in rpm that indicated I needed to either back off or shift to second. The previous days episode with making that shift had not turned out to my liking, but then racing headfirst into a Chevy wasn’t to my liking either and this time the Chevy’s were threatening to be an all steel enema. So second gear it was.

Momentum climbed rapidly and pretty soon I was heading into unknown territory, third gear. I had never been in third gear personally, oh sure I had been there vicariously as a passenger on my brother’s Dream but I had never actually been there in person, so this was going to be fresh. I tentatively clicked it into third and held the throttle just a little open. The bike surged forward and the speedometer was getting ever closer to 20. I began to wonder at that moment if the scientists back in the eighteenth century might have been on target with their prediction of 35 mph causing the human brain to be pushed to the back of the skull and obliterated as a functioning unit. I only had fifteen more mph and maybe thirty minutes to find out. I maneuvered the bike to the far right side of my lane to allow cars by in case their rate of travel was faster so I wouldn’t be picking Chevy badges out of my rectum. Cars went whizzing by me at an alarming clip and that’s when I realized the four lane highway necks down to a four-lane highway without shoulders. I would have to get off the shoulder and into traffic sooner rather than later. This was a scary thought. Playing tag-your-it with a ton of steel has all the makings of tag-your-pizza. So I was going to be forced to get to highway speed. I actually got there only ten miles outside Ogden. Bravery has never been my strong suit (as opposed to stupidity or laziness).

Last edited:
So I have to say that second trip on the bike was a refreshing change, I didn’t end up scuffed up again, and I made it all the way home after school to boot. Amazing. I wish I could say that was my only dongo off that Yamaha, but alas I had a few more.

Like the get-off I had going over to my brother Mark’s house on Skiddy road. There are a handful of switchbacks going downhill as you’re headed west. He was riding his 75 Suzuki T500 Titan and was in the lead. When we got to those switchbacks he disappeared going down the hill while I was busy trying to keep my mufflers from scraping off. By time I got to the bottom and rounded the last curve I saw Mark sitting on his bike, the bike up on the center stand and Mark with his legs crossed over the handlebars and leaning against the sissy-bar backrest. His bike was a make-do Barca Lounger. I was on the rear brake and started to turn right when the rear end broke loose and high sided me over the bike. On the way over I heard a cannon shot go off and while sailing through the ethereal blue skies of Kansas I wondered who was firing cannons on Skiddy road.
My brother was standing over me when I woke up from my nap and he was looking a bit strange. Odd that I would take a snooze mid-day mid-road.

“You OK?” he asked.

“Define OK.” I replied.

“You gonna live?” was his apparent definition.

“I’m fine, where’s the truck that hit me?” I wondered aloud.

“Your back tire slid,” he stated flatly.

“Ow,” I said.

I then rolled over to stand up. That’s when I realized that cannon shot wasn’t a firearm at all, luckily it only been my right knee. There was some feeling coming back into it and none of it was good, it was all bad. Mark helped me pick the bike up and we inspected the damage, all cosmetic (again). The rear tire turned out to be not only bald but really slick as well. I had not changed the tire since buying the bike and it was bald when I bought it and putting a couple thousand miles on it hadn’t improved it at all. Now the carcass was showing through. Well the bike seemed serviceable all I had to do was start it, which required a stout kick using my right leg. Well just put that nagging burning sensation aside and ‘git er done,’ to wit I romped down on the starter and she roared to life. The bike just spun a couple times however. My knee was now a tender spot with a flaming poker wedged in it. The bike had to be started so I held back the tears and gave it another rip. This time the engine started and I was seeing some pretty sparkly stars dancing in my eyes through the fountains of water erupting from them. One might surmise it was a smidgeon more than an ache. That night I came bolt upright at 2AM in bed when my knee decided to secede from my leg and had gone to war. The shelling my brain was taking from my knee was causing me to see amber waves of pain.

When I went to the Emergency Room that morning the ER doctor (a man ready for the nursing home) pronounced my knee was ‘strained.’ I would have put money on puree. I was willing to bet that if you stuck a need into my kneecap it would pour its contents onto the floor, it had that much support. That dongo hurt for about 6 months. It would occasionally twinge, which would light my hair on fire and gouge blue light streaks across my vision, other than that it wasn’t too bad.

The really bad dongo happened in 1978. I had stopped by my dad’s shop to pickup a 27” bicycle wheel for work. The sporting goods store I worked for carried bicycles and occasionally I would buy parts I was out of from my dad. I strapped the wheel onto the bikes luggage rack and headed to work on a clear sunny morning. As I was going past the beer distributor warehouse on K-18 about 2 miles from Stagg Hill Golf Course I saw a large land yacht pull into the center median between the highways at the golf course entrance. This car had plenty of time to cross the road since I was doing the speed limit. But instead it just sat there. It sat there for well over a minute. It sat there like a squatting toad right up until I got within fifty yards of it. Then it pulled out onto the highway. Just to make sure the ambulance had something to do, once the old geezer had both lanes covered with his Buick Electra 225 Land Barge he slammed on the brakes and stopped. That left me two distinct options for my intended line of travel. Option one included using the ditch and then trying to negotiate a three-foot culvert. I didn’t think I could ride the bike through that small an opening so I looked at option two. Plant my bike right behind the front tire and use my momentum to jettison me clear of the wreck.

Now I’d like to point out here that the previous year I had run into a snag with my XS 650. The snag was the wiring harness had toasted itself rather spectacularly while riding home at 2AM. The smoke billowed out of the ignition switch and the lights went very dim and the engine died instantly. Replacing the ignition switch had managed to smoke two switches rather eloquently, but not fix anything. So I was left with taking it to the dealer for some repairs. They diagnosed the harness was completely trashed and needed to order a new one. The backorder stated it would come directly from Japan. On the plus side this happened in late September so the riding season was almost done. On the down side there was no telling when I might get my scoot back. So after I found out they would be waiting months not weeks for a replacement I requested they find out why my electric starter was MIA. They found the internals were a pile of rusticles that used to be an armature. That was OK since the windings were also part of the rust pile. Replacement was $140.00. Ouch.

OK with that fixed why does it drip oil? The lower case was cracked. That’s $160.00. Ouch again. Well if you have to tear it apart anyway to replace the lower case how about we put oversize pistons, chrome rings and better connecting rods in. Sure. Then let’s put some meaty carburetors on and a high lift cam too. No problem. I wasn’t riding it so why not spend my hard earned cash improving on the original. All said and done the dealer offered to trade me my bike for a brand new XS 650 for only $200.00 difference.

Prompting me to ask, “will it be as fast?”

“No,” he said, “not even close.”

“Will it handle better,” I queried thinking about my suspension upgrades.

“Not even close,” he said with a smile.

“Is it more comfortable?” I wondered after changing bars, seat and backrest.

“Not a chance,” he stated flatly.

“Then why would I want to trade?” I was confused.

“Because its new,” he said with grin.

“No thanks,” I said.

The final bill was over $1900.00 for the bike, of that $1500 was in the motor getting it to almost competition grade. I could smoke bikes up to 1000cc and they would be left scratching their heads as to what the hell just blew them into the weeds. I remember an old Ford pickup wanting to race and at about 120 mph I kicked it into 5th gear and waved goodbye. All I saw was a receding pickup. The bike was pretty fast by that point.

So it was with some regret I aimed that XS into the side of that Buick with my only solace being that it would come to rest in the driver’s lap. I can recall the sensation of flying in an amber haze (not too surprising since I wore an amber face shield on my open-face helmet). And then I did a series of wakeups. First in the ditch. I woke up and pulled my helmet off. Then I woke up and some old geezer was saying something about I’d be OK. That prompted me to ask if he was the bozo of record that pulled out in front of me. He never answered that question. I then woke up being carted up the hill. I awoke again as I was being unceremoniously dumped into the back of an ambulance. I woke up in the ambulance because of all the racket from the siren. I noted on that occasion the lack of consumable atmosphere within the confines of the ambulance. I was rewarded with a nose cup that supplied my eyes a steady stream of cold gas that refused to enter my lungs for some reason. I woke up again as I was being jostled out of the ambulance and again in a cold hospital room.

About the third wakeup call in the emergency room my brother Mark mysteriously appeared. While I was trying to gather my wits to explain rationally that I had just been launched into orbit for no good reason some lunatic in a lab coat started saying something about a standing chest x-ray. I would have ignored him but he was talking to me. I suggested he go stand in front of the machine and let me know how it turned out. He insisted I do it myself. I think he was a crack head before crack was invented. At any rate I asked if I would cause any more damage to my body when I slammed into the floor from passing out for his stupid x-ray. He assured me it was a hospital; they can fix what ever I break extra. Nice.

When I got out of the hospital and had recuperated sufficiently to return to work my boss, a nice guy and somewhat given to a dark sense of humor had prepared a special t-shirt in my honor. On the front was a cartoon of a guy that had fallen ass down into a toilet so the only thing showing was his shoes and left hand clutching a string of toilet paper. The caption read “One of those days.” On the back of the shirt he had stenciled the phrase, “Yamaha Wipeout Artist.”

First ride was a 1964 Triumph 650cc , bought it in total pieces for $ 100.00. The guy that owned it stripped it to rebuild and then just got rid of it (to me). My brother was at the time an apprentice motor mechanic and myself an apprentice fitter/machinist. It was 1972 and we rebuilt the whole bike for an out lay of about another $80.00 over a period of 3 months because apprentice pay was almost nothing in those days. Never did get the front brakes working very well but hey you adapt, I rode that thing till I melted a piston about 12 months later, fixed it again and sold it to buy a car.

First ride was a 1964 Triumph 650cc , bought it in total pieces for $ 100.00. The guy that owned it stripped it to rebuild and then just got rid of it (to me). My brother was at the time an apprentice motor mechanic and myself an apprentice fitter/machinist. It was 1972 and we rebuilt the whole bike for an out lay of about another $80.00 over a period of 3 months because apprentice pay was almost nothing in those days. Never did get the front brakes working very well but hey you adapt, I rode that thing till I melted a piston about 12 months later, fixed it again and sold it to buy a car.
Were you clever enough to buy a Station wagon or Panelvan? ;) :whitstling::whitstling::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Back