Do you remember your first ride?

Triple Trouble

The Duk of death
Orchard Beach. Ont. Canada , London England
Ride
'05 Rocket III '73 Norton Commando 65 Norton Atlas
Someone started a thread with this subject on another forum and it seemed like fun so I thought I would start it here:

Twas 1964 and I took off for my first ride on my 1950 series C Vincent. Decided to show off a bit so I went to the local dance and impressed a girl to the extent that she wanted a ride. No problem for this kid, off we go and headed for a spin around the park. Later that night I'm almost home when a police car approaches and a cop sticks his head out the window and yells at me to stop. I'm on a motorbike and can easily outrun a car right. I do have almost three hours of experience after all. I took off and almost got home when I ran out of road..........oops. by the time I'm sorted and off again they catch me within sight of my house, blue lights flashing and the siren going. Apparently some local yobbos had been riding round the park that night and tore up the grass with their bikes and an eye witness saw a Vincent riding by. No mud on my bike so I got away with that but my paper work wasn't quite up to date ( apparently the Guinness label wasn't convincing enough in the tax disc holder) and the night really went downhill when my Dad walked out of the house in his pyjamas to see what was going on..........​

Home built mini-bike. square tire and all. Even my first bike was darkside!!

6 yrs old, twist the grip in the front yard, blast over the curb right out into the street, up the driveway ramp across the street, airborne landing in the holly bushes (yeah, the thorny kind).

bruised, bloodied, with a grin a mile wide. Never stopped riding since.

Home built mini-bike. square tire and all. Even my first bike was darkside!!

6 yrs old, twist the grip in the front yard, blast over the curb right out into the street, up the driveway ramp across the street, airborne landing in the holly bushes (yeah, the thorny kind).

bruised, bloodied, with a grin a mile wide. Never stopped riding since.

This sounds much like my first ride. I was a pre-teen and my father just bought a mini-bike. My first ride was WOT into the neighbors huge weeping willow tree. No helmet on my head but the only things to hurt were my nads hitting the gas tank.

I think my first ride was on a Honda Trail 70 with a hole in the motor. I was about 11 years old and there was a small motorcycle shop down the street where I hung out. I worked there for several years as a teenager. That little Trail 70 was the toughest bike ever. It had a big hole in the case, but it just ran and ran. Every once in a while we would pour oil in the hole..lol

I still remember dumping a Yamaha 100 from that shop that I LOVED.. I grabbed the front brake in a gravel driveway, dumped it on the right side and burnt the crap out of my ankle on the exahust, but I was so sad that I dropped that bike. I wasn't worried about my ankle at all! It didn't really hurt the bike though.. It looked just like this one

My first ride was on one of these a Raleigh Wisp in the late 60s.
Must have been mad mind :eek: you i was only 13 at the time and you can not ride on the road here till 16 years old .i fell off and did more damage to me than the bike and the old man found out so that put an end to that for a time......

Her name was fanny, she was a big fat nanny..............

(Sorry couldnt resist)..:p

I dont remember the year, somewhere around 1983, I went down to the Honda shop in Oakland and paid $500.00 for a Honda CB 500, I had only ridden on my own once before for about 10 minutes on a friends Enduro 125 several years earlier. I remembered 1 down four up, and off I went all the way to my house ( about 10 miles) where I triumphantly pulled into the driveway, forgot to put my feet down and fell over, much to the amusement of my nieghbor who witnessed the whole event.......:eek:

Yamaha DT 250; one of the first ones ever made. About 1970 - I was 13 or so. That thing only had 2nd gear. It belonged to my mate's brother and we nicked it and rode it all around the back of the last houses in what was a new suburb all through the holidays. Happy days. Had to learn real quick how to work the clutch on take off and found out what a 2 stroke screaming its head off sounds and feels like. I remember some guy racing out of his house and ambushing us. We thought we were in trouble but he only wanted to show us how to change gear............ It was driving him nuts.

Back