Disabling an Alarm

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
My 08 Touring has an alarm plus a LoJack. The alarm fob is a Triumph so I assume it is a Triumph accessory. The previous owner had it installed when new at a cost of $1200. I think it was not money well spent because Rockets are rarely stolen. The Heritage Softail is the most stolen bike in the US.

I want to disable the alarm because no literature came with it and there is apparently a 4 letter pin code to do so that the previous owner was never aware of. It was probably in the literature that he no longer has. I want to disable it because it is a PITA, arming itself within about 15 seconds after I turn off the ignition. I'll be crossing the Puget Sound pond on the ferries next summer and any movement of the boat can set off a bike alarm.

When I installed the new battery the alarm indicator didn't immediately activate and the bike started right up. When I turned off the ignition it activated itself again, suggesting that it had to reboot.

There are two accessory ground wires on my negative terminal, one for the battery tender and one that I assume is the ground for the alarm. Not knowing anything about alarms, I'm wondering if removing the alarm ground will completely deactivate the alarm without causing a problem with the ignition sequence. I know that I can just try it and see the results but I am reluctant to fool with any electronic interface on a bike of which I know nothing.

Has anyone successfully deactivated an alarm by removing the ground?

I never say never, somebody may want it. The stock alarm from Triumph has a ferry/trailer feature. You arm it with the FOB, then press the larger button, and the lights will blink 3 times that it is in ferry mode. I had mine in a trailer and a cube van and it never went off. I am pretty sure I still have the box in my garage, I can check for the installation manual, scan it and email it to you.

After I posted this I found a quick reference guide for the alarm in the Garmin GPS bag that I got from my friend. It is a made by Datatool UK which apparently supports most bike manufacturers

It makes no sense to me because my alarm operation differs from the instructions on the card. The first three lines:

Disarm - Press Grey Button
Immobilise Only - Ignition off for over 45 seconds
Alarm Fully - Press gray button within 45 seconds of ignition off
"Ferry Mode"- Press grey button with 10 seconds of arming the alarm fully. (As what you stated so that's good)

The problem is that mine arms itself when I turn the ignition off. I'd like it to be like my car and truck, that I have to push a button to arm it. I guess I'm a bit confused as to what "fully armed" means.

And yes I'd much appreciate it if you'd scan the instructions. The friend that I bought it from is in failing health and can't recall if he ever had an instruction book. I'll PM you my email address.

One question. Did your pin code come with the literature you got with the bike?

Yes, mine arms automatically, its very sensitive the more the bike is upright depending where I park, I'll check my cupboard in the garage when I get home, been looking at that box for 4 years, probably moved itself now that I want it. lol.

There is not option to 'turn it off' or prevent it from auto-re-arming - if you really want to have it never arm, then your best alternative is just to remove it.
There should not be any additional wire to the battery, that must be for something else.

You 'need' the PIN code only if you want to add new remotes or change the programmed options - however it is possible to enter a new one yourself

OEM_Alarm_NewPin.jpg

OEM_Alarm_NewPin_quick.jpg

OEM_Alarm_States.jpg

OEM_Alarm_States.jpg

OEM_Alarm_Programming_1.jpg

OEM_Alarm_Programming_2.jpg

Attachments

• OEM_Alarm_SoftwareOptions.jpg
    OEM_Alarm_SoftwareOptions.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 17
My 08 Touring has an alarm plus a LoJack. The alarm fob is a Triumph so I assume it is a Triumph accessory. The previous owner had it installed when new at a cost of $1200. I think it was not money well spent because Rockets are rarely stolen. The Heritage Softail is the most stolen bike in the US.

I want to disable the alarm because no literature came with it and there is apparently a 4 letter pin code to do so that the previous owner was never aware of. It was probably in the literature that he no longer has. I want to disable it because it is a PITA, arming itself within about 15 seconds after I turn off the ignition. I'll be crossing the Puget Sound pond on the ferries next summer and any movement of the boat can set off a bike alarm.

When I installed the new battery the alarm indicator didn't immediately activate and the bike started right up. When I turned off the ignition it activated itself again, suggesting that it had to reboot.

There are two accessory ground wires on my negative terminal, one for the battery tender and one that I assume is the ground for the alarm. Not knowing anything about alarms, I'm wondering if removing the alarm ground will completely deactivate the alarm without causing a problem with the ignition sequence. I know that I can just try it and see the results but I am reluctant to fool with any electronic interface on a bike of which I know nothing.

Has anyone successfully deactivated an alarm by removing the ground?

Hi Navigator, excuse the ranting here but...

I went through great effort to buy and install a factory alarm system about 5 years ago, thinking it was a good idea, it was rubbish. Oddly I found it a couple of weeks back wrapped in a rag (to shut it up) at the back of the woodshed where I had thrown it after removing it.

With you on the arm disarm, I thought it would have an ON or OFF option but no. You cannot turn the auto arm off (probably for insurance purposes), the final straw was getting immobilized in a parking lot at a hardware store.

If you remove the alarm you may need the bypass plug that goes into the loom when an alarms not installed. There's an OEM plug connection on the wiring loom under the tank for the alarm, I still had my bypass plug but if this was done factory you may not have this plug.

There were many tears of frustration getting the alarm out from under the front of the frame, more than fitting it as it was shouting the whole time (had hearing protection on) and the internal backup battery is superb.

Dont know if the R3T is different than mine, the factory alarm was was Datatool, have manual etc still, and could email if it would help?

Alarm_Connections.jpg
Alarm_Connections.jpg
Alarm_Connections.jpg

Think its this plug will stand corrected.
20150619_183128.jpg
20150619_183128.jpg

if i had an alarm i would carry the plug that sleeves is talking about(not the one in pics.)

edit
the one misty posted.

Back