detent spring , whats the other?

2012cliff

Supercharged
Ride
2008 tour
found both these springs when i pulled off the front cover. I am also having trouble pulling the keeper key that locks the 30 mm nut that keeps the clutch basket on. any help , please. thanks 20150729_085617.jpg 20150729_085852.jpg

The spring on the left by the tab of paper is the lifter shaft return spring. pictured below on the inside of the clutch cover.

2010_0110clutchlifterpieces0007.JPG

There is no keeper key in the front of the transmission input shaft it is a little undercut for you to stake the nut in (so it won't vibrate off). With a Impact and socket you can spring it off without the clutch locking tool.
Below is a picture of a homemade one I did for some one but cannot remember who :)
P7110005.JPG

Found it here is a shot of the expensive Triumph tool.

2011_0922_190808.JPG

Last edited:
thank you, it is very much appreciated . hoping to get the bike back together for a run to meet up with my brother who is leaving Florida to Sturgis.
No problem here is my opinion about you finding the undamaged lifter shaft return spring. First it is evident someone has been in the engine unless the assembly line has gotten real bad on how to stake the the clutch basket nut. Now if the lifter shaft has a spring on it then they lost one when they had it apart and gave up looking for it. If there is none then they messed up when they were putting the cover lining the lifter piece up on and pulled the lifter shaft out enough to drop the spring.
Just taking a guess from the pictures?

Also you will see the drive sprocket for the oil pumps and water pump when you take the basket. Make sure the sprocket is lined up and engaged prior too torquing the basket nut.

Last edited:
Warp9.9's external spring mod is excellent, and replaces the lifter shaft return spring. It is well worth doing.

Back