Danger! POWERBRONZE EXTENDED SCREEN

Hey Frosty. I think alot of the metal is on the upper screen, no?
not really, the metal section bolts to the lower screen with the upper plastic attached to the top of the metal section, so the lower screen is taking the weight. If the metal piece was lower on bottom screen that would have helped take some of the stress off, but at the same time, if your doing steady highway speed, without any extra wind, you are now adding more down force on the lower plastic, and if you have winds to contend with as well, then your going to have a fluctuating pressure with the gusts coming and going. That bottom windscreen is taking a lot of force, possible fixes could be going to a Lexan plastic, or going with a slightly thicker plastic with metal inserts for the screws to go through, re-design the bracket out of a lighter material, such as shredded carbon fiber in a pressure mold, Aluminum, Plastic, many possibilities

not really, the metal section bolts to the lower screen with the upper plastic attached to the top of the metal section, so the lower screen is taking the weight. If the metal piece was lower on bottom screen that would have helped take some of the stress off, but at the same time, if your doing steady highway speed, without any extra wind, you are now adding more down force on the lower plastic, and if you have winds to contend with as well, then your going to have a fluctuating pressure with the gusts coming and going. That bottom windscreen is taking a lot of force, possible fixes could be going to a Lexan plastic, or going with a slightly thicker plastic with metal inserts for the screws to go through, re-design the bracket out of a lighter material, such as shredded carbon fiber in a pressure mold, Aluminum, Plastic, many possibilities
OK, hard to tell since its gone. Isn't some metal attached to the top screen? Look at this old pic.
OK, hard to remember since it's gone. Looks like from below pic some metal attached to upper shield, huh?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-171020_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220111-171020_Gallery.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 36
That's it! So much weight up there. I'm sure if you ride like grandma the screen would be fine. But having a rocket no way.
Glad you didn't get hurt.
One thing I have never been accused of is riding like a grandma, lol. I have had my GT to maximum speed and with over 40,000 miles so far I have experienced no problems from the Powerbronze beyond having to replace some plastic bushings a while back.

One thing I have never been accused of is riding like a grandma, lol. I have had my GT to maximum speed and with over 40,000 miles so far I have experienced no problems from the Powerbronze beyond having to replace some plastic bushings a while back.
Haha! That's good.
I do think the lack of width in the shield causes the shoulders to get pressure at hwy speeds. Do you notice that? Could be my height has some bearing on that.

Haha! That's good.
I do think the lack of width in the shield causes the shoulders to get pressure at hwy speeds. Do you notice that? Could be my height has some bearing on that.
Well for sure there is some pressure, it not being a fairing and all. The time I rode with you I dont remember you having the Powerbronze, did you get it soon after you bought the bike?

Well for sure there is some pressure, it not being a fairing and all. The time I rode with you I dont remember you having the Powerbronze, did you get it soon after you bought the bike?
I think I did have it.
Don't know if you read my idea why my shield broke, but think it was the spacers,very hard, I replaced the softer black rubber ones with that crumbled.

Using Cutty Sark sails in speedboat brings some risk! Engineers in Triumph surely knew, and I also trust that they performed thousands od tests, why they used no (for R), or the very small (if someone will miss it) windscreen.

Using Cutty Sark sails in speedboat brings some risk! Engineers in Triumph surely knew, and I also trust that they performed thousands od tests, why they used no (for R), or the very small (if someone will miss it) windscreen.
For aesthetic reasons and part of the GT touring package I would think. The OEM windshield is fine up to maybe 50 mph. It seems the GT is a half ass attempt at a touring but no one buys it for the touring although it's fine to use for any touring. (get that?). You would think that Triumph would put a better shield/bags out for the GT but they realize it's being bought to hit the backroads and go fast on. Touring was down the list but they wanted to make money so they put out the GT and the R which is the same bike with different stuff on it (or not on it). I thought by now someone would have made a descent windshield for Gt but the Powerbronze mid size is working fine so I'll keep it. :thumbsup:

Back