Danger! POWERBRONZE EXTENDED SCREEN

My CalSci broke, under recommended torque, at ~110 mph a while back. They sent me another but I haven't put a screen back on since. I find the air that does hit me to be smoother with no screen at all and it's more quiet inside my helmet without any screen.

My CalSci broke, under recommended torque, at ~110 mph a while back. They sent me another but I haven't put a screen back on since. I find the air that does hit me to be smoother with no screen at all and it's more quiet inside my helmet without any screen.
Jack;

Wow, poor design. Them folks need to go back to the drawing board. OlBull and Scott and the barndoor wobble convinced be to ditch the big windscreen for a small Windvest and a good full face. Lowers also helped a lot. On the new 2500 they are not going to look good. They were ok on the 2300.

Try finding a piece of Windvest plastic and drilling to your mount points. Consider larger compression washers.

That's a big score for me! I did notice smoother air on the way home at 90 mph indicated. I put the stock one on, so now develop neck muscles with more riding. Hopefully that will be enough. Here is the new look until new bags arrive.

Attachments

• 20220108_154339.jpg
    20220108_154339.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 62
I've been worried about this. I have a 20" MadStad on order and the feeble mounting points on my 2020 R have got me concerned. But I wouldn't expect the screen itself to break.

Because of my height at 5'9" I get thrashed with the stock windshield although it is so much aesthetically pleasing than any other screen. It hits me in the chest full bore. This is fine for backroads and around town. On long trips it's punishment. The Powerbronze windscreen forces the wind to my helmet area and it's a good but not a great ride. I just wonder how much I have fallen into the 'comfort' mode and forgetting about not having a windshield on a bike like in the good ole days. I believe the older you get the more comfort you want. I have bought more cold weather gear lately than a guy living in the artic region solely for comfort. Getting suited up takes longer than the actual ride. I look like an Ewok when I ride for Christ sakes. I may go back to my original stock windshield and see if my balls grow back.:thumbsup:

Super glad you are unscathed. Wow. Could it be possible that a small, unnoticed chip or nick occurred at the edge of the windshield,or within a mounting hole, and a crack propagated from the damage? A rock or other jetsam, or even a packaging, storage or handling mishap? A materials scientist could look at the windscreen under a microscope and, within a few minutes, tell you where and why it cracked. Hang onto it, perhaps someone would be interested in doing the analysis. To be honest, the failure is statistically remote and I would not be afraid to put on a replacement...unless you have been struck by lightening thrice and paid for your Rocket with Lottery winnings:).

That's a big score for me! I did notice smoother air on the way home at 90 mph indicated. I put the stock one on, so now develop neck muscles with more riding. Hopefully that will be enough. Here is the new look until new bags arrive.
Maurice you are very fortunate to have escaped injury with all that plastic and metal coming at you, very lucky for you!
Question, what bags are you looking to mount on your Rocket this go around? Got a relation @NvisblMan who is in research mode on a quest for saddle bags for his Rocket. As well I believe he would find your post on the EXT. PB windscreen failure interesting.

Because of my height at 5'9" I get thrashed with the stock windshield although it is so much aesthetically pleasing than any other screen. It hits me in the chest full bore. This is fine for backroads and around town. On long trips it's punishment. The Powerbronze windscreen forces the wind to my helmet area and it's a good but not a great ride. I just wonder how much I have fallen into the 'comfort' mode and forgetting about not having a windshield on a bike like in the good ole days. I believe the older you get the more comfort you want. I have bought more cold weather gear lately than a guy living in the artic region solely for comfort. Getting suited up takes longer than the actual ride. I look like an Ewok when I ride for Christ sakes. I may go back to my original stock windshield and see if my balls grow back.:thumbsup:
Exactly! We don't want the " when I was your age we walked 4 miles in the snow to get to school" attitude, nor surround bike with so much plastic you feel nothing at hwy speed! Eventually they will give us a virtual helmet to sit at home on recliner and" go for a ride", complete with assimilated "wind" for effect.
Before I got the bronze shield my mid back muscles after awhile would tire, and then the pain stopped about the time my shield arrived. I think the same for neck muscles. Probably works lats as well cause of the pull!
The complete workout. Just hold legs up to work quads and stomach while riding!

Hoping I adjust. Good luck!

Maurice you are very fortunate to have escaped injury with all that plastic and metal coming at you, very lucky for you!
Question, what bags are you looking to mount on your Rocket this go around? Got a relation @NvisblMan who is in research mode on a quest for saddle bags for his Rocket. As well I believe he would find your post on the EXT. PB windscreen failure interesting.
You are correct! I cannot stop thinking how lucky I was!! At that speed! How it missed me! Little slower it would not have missed me? Wouldn't break?

Bags are the warranty ones, 25l upgrade.

I have given up on the PowerBronze, I like the sport windshield they have, and thats about it, I have the two piece windscreen from them as well, about two months after i got it, the lower windscreen started to crack at one of the lower mounting holes to the bike, i drilled the end of the crack hoping to stop it, but it still cracked through the lower bolt holes to the bike and separated, but stayed in place thanks to the top bolts. I emailed PowerBronze and was pretty much told, sucks to be you, have a nice day. I also had a PowerBronze single mid size screen, it was a similar design to the base of the adjustable screen, so I measured it and drilled it and mounted it as a base, it was the same thickness as the original. I mounted the adjustable part, made sure everything was solid but not over done, and 3 months later, cracks forming on the lower mount holes again. That chunk of metal is to far up on the lower screen, and weighs to much

Back