Coolant additives that improve heat transference

Just to be clear, I was NOT advocating nor would I ever suggest the use of pure water. I was demonstrating the most efficient "cooling" could only be attained by pure water. The additives in the cooling system are necessary for freeze protection, corrosion resistance and lubrication of pump parts (specifically pump seals). I don't run anything in my cooling system outside manufacturer recommendations simply because the enginerds designing the system covered all the bases for system requirements long term.
This is big time BS about cooling additives.! Your fan and thermostat are designed to keep your engine coolant at a constant max temp. I don't care about what kind of crap you add to it...the temp is the temp! Water Wetter my foot!

This is big time BS about cooling additives.! Your fan and thermostat are designed to keep your engine coolant at a constant max temp. I don't care about what kind of crap you add to it...the temp is the temp! Water Wetter my foot!
I always appreciate the voice of simplistic reason over scientific fact. No one I hope would argue the radiator is the primary heat exchanger and would work to regulate engine temperature regardless of the pump or fan's status. Those mechanical add ons are there to improve cooling efficiency (fan at idle, pump under load), but provide no cooling in and of themselves at all In fact the water pump adds heat to the system coolant by increasing total system energy. Engine cooling is simply a matter of moving BTU's from the engine to the environement. The radiator transfers engine heat to atmospheric air (air/water heat exchanger). The means of transporting that heat (measured in BTU's) is done by water (regardless of any additives). The exchage rate at the radiator is determined by the coolant's mass flow rate, the coolant's specific heat capacity, and the differential temperature between the engine and the atmosphere. The original argument was over what effect additives have on coolant specific heat capacity. You want to argue the thermostat cools the engine I would have to inquire as to how it accomplishes that feat? In fact a faulty thermostat will hinder engine cooling will it not by inhibiting water (coolant) flow? If you are saying your engine is cooled and therefore needs no further explanation then I would surmise you are satisfied with the status quo of your mechanical accumen. There are others on the forum who have expressed more inquiring minds, I was trying to explain it to them. The bottom line is additives were never put in to improve engine cooling, nor is there an additive that will (to date).

You can't help yourself can you? Just when I give you the benefit of the doubt you do it again.:banghead:

I am not a scientist or an essay writer, but have , every time had good results with Evans waterless coolant.
The formulation of Evans is primarily glycol, which has about 60% of the specific heat capacity of water but also has a high thermal conductivity (gives up heat easily). As long as the corrosion inhibitors and lubricating components of the fluid don't lower that value significantly and because most modern radiators are sized to 120% of maximum expected heat load using a bit less efficient coolant works fine. I didn't say water was the only cooling medium, just the most efficient. (At Ft. St. Vrain Nuclear Station (Colorado) they used helium as the coolant).

I always understood that on a fully warmed up engine the thermostat controls the lowest temp and your fan controls the highest temp. The radiator cap aids in boil over by creating pressure thus increasing the boiling point and releasing excess pressure. Seems like a simple concept to me.

I always understood that on a fully warmed up engine the thermostat controls the lowest temp and your fan controls the highest temp. The radiator cap aids in boil over by creating pressure thus increasing the boiling point and releasing excess pressure. Seems like a simple concept to me.

right on

Correct. The excess pressure is relieved to the coolant overflow bottle, which is installed for the volumetric changes of the coolant. As water (coolant) expands as it heats it creates pressure in a closed system. The cap spring sets the pressure it will lift at to limit this pressure rise to a steady state value. The systems pressure increase raises the boiling temperature (phase change temperature) of the coolant. This cap has a "check valve" action, so when the bike engine begins to cool after shutdown the volume change of the coolant creates a vacuum and draws the coolant back from the bottle, thus maintaining a full system. The overflow tank is vented to atmosphere, which is why the overflow pipe goes to the bottom of that tank. Atmospheric pressure on top of the coolant in the tank pushes the coolant back into the radiator as the engine cools because the radiator is below atmospheric pressure.

When you do a 12 minute tune, basically you idle the bike and wait until the radiator fan kicks on at 200 degrees. At 90 degrees coolant temperature the specific volume of water is 0.016 ft cubed/lbm, at 200 degrees it's 0.017. Doesn't look like much, but the coolant is an incompressible fluid, so that volume increase in a closed system means pressure must rise. The cap opens letting excess volume out and maintains the system at a given pressure based on the cap spring pressure (a simple relief valve). The pounds mass in the system actually decreases since fluid is being displaced into the overflow tank, however the cooling system remains 100% full but with a lower density fluid. (Density and volume are inverses of each other, raise density, volume goes down, raise volume, density goes down).

Back