Coatings - From chrome to black - Which is best?

ChrisACT

Supercharged
Ride
2006 Rocket III Special Edition
Hi all,

I'm planning to change the look of my Rocket significantly.

I have a standard 2006 Rocket III Special Edition. It has the black engine and red tribal tins.

I want to take most of the chrome on the bike and have it coated black. Probably satin black for most of it.

This brings up the issue of which coating to go with. Paint, powerdercoat, ceramic or black chrome.

In truth, I expect it'll be a combination of these are various parts have different temperature requirements. Some are plastic and some are steel.

I reckon I'll be painting the plastic bits in satin black, ceramic coating the exhaust heat shields in satin black and powerdercoating the rest in either gloss or satin black depending where on the bike it is.

My question is are there any issues with taking a chrome steel part and having it powerdercoated? What are the benefits of going with black chrome instead of powerdercoat (if any)?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Am lucky. We have a local who does some really fine powder coating. Guy is really good and rates are more than reasonable. Never had a issue with his work. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I went with ceramic coating.

It went from this:

Rocket3ae.jpg

Rocket3be.jpg

To this:

Rocket_Black_1.jpg

Rocket_Black_2.jpg

Rocket_Black_3.jpg

Rocket_Black_4.jpg

Those with a keen eye may also notice the addition of a Corbin Dual Tourer seat, YSS rear shocks and Craftride Engine bars.

Last edited:
Youse went the wrong way in my worthless opinion. :eek: :rolleyes: :roll: :p

Like the Harley chromed out. Rocket different story. Takes me two eighteen packs to clean the Harley only takes about twelve beers to clean the Rocket.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back