Clutch: spring or washer?

JohnPanter

.020 Over
Sutton in Ashfield (5 minutes from J28 M1
Ride
2004 Rocket supercharged,Hayabusa, GL1800
Looking forward to refitting a new set of friction and pressure plates into the outer basket. Just noticed that the parts catalogue and manual both show opposite sequences for installing the 'anti-judder spring' and 'anti judder washer'! The manual shows 'washer' then 'spring' then plates . . . . . the parts catalogue diagram shows 'spring' then 'washer' then plates. This may have had something to do with my steadily worsening juddering clutch???

spring-washer.JPG washer-spring.JPG

I left the spring and washer out on my Barnett install, but had juddering. On some clutch kits, you have to leave them out, as they do not have the one friction disc with the larger center for the spring and washer. The Barnett kit does have the one plate with larger center. When I tear back into mine, I'll replace that plate with one of the stock plates, and continue to not use the judder spring and washer. I'm thinking the plate with the larger center, is rattling some, with no judder spring and washer in there.:unsure:

I will post on your other thread. But I can tell you that the most important thing you can do right now is find out how or why them two spring towers on the internal clutch hub are marred up. I have had 3 of them snap off on my supercharged bike and believe me you do not want that to happen.

I think the springs have nibbled into the three towers. The springs I took out are rough to the touch, whilst the new barnett springs are slightly bigger diameter and super smooth. I had not planned to remove the outer basket but will now dismantle it tomorrow.

I also plan to fit 40mm bolts to the spring towers, this should allow the bolts to extend further into the actual basket and re-enforce the towers a tad.

iirc the stock bolts are like 30mm... it'll take bolts with 50mm of thread

upload_2019-4-18_22-54-36.png

I also plan to fit 40mm bolts to the spring towers, this should allow the bolts to extend further into the actual basket and re-enforce the towers a tad.
John look at the pictures in the book. The spring towers are casted into the inner clutch hub. Which is seperate from the clutch basket. They both go over the same shaft amd are retained by the clutch nut. Once you take the fibers and steels out of the basket you can remove the inner clutch hub. Then you can remove and inspect the basket. Now IMPORTANT IS THE CLUTCH SPRINGS
With the TTS kit you get stiffer springs much stiffer. Much much stiffer then Barnett p.u.s.s.y. weak springs. Not sure if TTS change from the cx15's but use what TTS supplies or what Neville Lush says, and i do like the springs Carpenter Racing uses.

Back