clunky drive at low speed

dave64

Mr
Ride
Triumph Roadster 2010
I have noticed the roadster is a little clunky at low speeds in first or second is this normal for the rocket ? Its like slack in the drive shaft or something. I hope its just that haven't rode another rocket :confused:

Mines done it from day dot .. led to believe it's the clutch basket. Just about the only drive train part i've not replaced on mine. Had a new driveshaft and final drive ... Barnett clutchplates and heavyduty springs ... none of those stopped the clunking when rolling along at walking pace. Nearly 100,000 klms and many trips to assorted shops later a mechanic was able to tell me he thinks he knows what's causing it :eek:..... Rockets don't you just love'em :D

Thanks TC i was hoping it was just a trait of the Rocket , I went for a quick ride this morning with a couple of friends , its a good feeling not scraping pegs or exhaust around roundabouts anymore like my mates HD . The Boulevard boys do frown when i power past them lol:D

Also first ride with Pazzo levers they feel much better ,clutch lever is not as much of a stretch now.

Mine was clunky but i fixed it when i modded the clutch throwout bearing. What i think was happening is that the clutch was dragging a little when pulled. This caused it to clunk at low speed, so if you can get a bit more pull out of the clutch it will stop the clunk. Short pull leavers would probably add to the problem.

Not all Rockets do it ... Donnys and Ponters Rockets have beautiful clutches. Sure there are plenty of others that don't suffer from the problem.. i reckon it's a problem anyway :mad:

Back