Been in two cycle accidents in the last 4 years.
1. on my Fat Boy leaving work cruising down a 4 lane 45 mph in town. Witness say the guy blew by them 70 MPH when he ran me over. Hit me so hard it drove the rear of the bike forward so much it snapped the down tubes.
2. on my America old man farmer rolled through stop sign, and I hit his front drivers fender, and went air born.
You learn about God's wills in those times of pain, and fear.
You must be related to a cat:eek::eek::D

The rear brake is for getting into accidents, the front for avoiding them.

That is my view and here's why:

1977 I launched over the hood of a Buick Electra 225 at 50mph when Bozo pulls out in front of me on Highway K-18 and I have the rear brake on full lock and can't avoid him(the front wheel penetrated the engine of that XS 650 in a very obscene way too).

2011 riding to work before the sun's up and a 80's Ford LTD (rusty blue on the rear driver's side rear door (yeah, I got that close)) pulls out in front of me on Highway 75 (2-lane) just south of Lyndon, KS. I was doing at least 65 mph (in case any local enforcement agencies are interested). I hit the rear brake and lock up the darkside tire and the bike goes sideways. I let go of the rear and grab a big handfull of front brake and the bike straightens out. I point it at the rear bumper and miss the Bozo by a couple inches. Lesson learned: You can still steer with the front brake on hard, steering is useless when the rear tire locks up.

So I'd say you are actually better off with your feet on the highway bars and depend soley on the front brakes to avoid a panic lockup of the rear brake (that can only get you into a lot more trouble than you want to get out of).

Glad your okay!

Boy I can testify to locking the rear up! Had me a close one about a month ago. Skip ask me if I used my front brake and I have no ideal!? It happened so fast at the last moment I missed him still don't know how! I don't really like riding a bike sideways down the highway or idiots that don't respect on coming traffic! :mad:

Thankfully my accident this year consisted of dumping Big Red in a drive way :eek: couple scars on my saddle bag and bent in my shifter gotta get some crash bars and keep that heavy beast out of a bind!!! That makes 2 times I've done that... had enough sense about me this time to pull my leg out before he hit the ground. :eek:

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of close calls;
How about having a lather jacket wrap in your rear wheal at 80mph:eek:
I survived it 2 years ago,
had to ride from Houston to Tulsa with dirty underwear:D

I have already had my first rocket totaled on me... 16 year old girl pulled out in front of me.. Almost no time to react.. Tell you that split second before impact.. Ya things flash through you mind real quick... Last thing... "oh fxxk this is going to hurt"

This was two years ago this coming july... Totaled my brand new 09 rocket, that I replaced with a brand new think it was one of the first in the country 2011..

Back