Circuit board repair.

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I thought I'd better pose a question before venturing off on my own, trying to fix the failed key fob for my bike alarm. In anther thread on disabling my bike alarm I just recounted how the alarm stranded me when the battery retainer separated from the circuit board. I'm talking small stuff here.

While I'm pretty good at soldering copper pipe and electrical wire, I'd be fearful of melting the board if I tried it. My wife asked if I could super glue it back down because that would sure make things easier. I could just hold it in place and drop a dob of glue on it.

So for you guys who are into micro-miniature electronics repair.....Would this possibly work?

Yep. I’ve done some SMD soldering mike. If you’ve got a good iron I can make it an excuse to get up to your area.

It can damage the board. If it’s a thin board or not we’ll build other components can overheat and get damaged in the process. I’ve never actually had a board fail from it but it does happen.

I have a couple of irons, one with a very fine tip. I'll send you a pic of the small one and the open key fob. If it isn't right I'll go buy the correct one.

And you know you are welcome over here anytime. I'm thinking that we're going to see some pretty nice weather here real soon. Tomorrow might just hit 70. It's kind of funny, I was thinking of taking a ride up to Hurricane Ridge on a nice day but just heard that there is still about 135 inches of snow on the Ridge.

After the darn fob fiasco, I'm reluctant to ride the Rocket without two functioning fobs.

I can probably do it for you but you'd have to mail it to me. I build SMD boards (see signature)

Superglue is not going to do anything for you.
What you might consider is, after the electrical repair is make, to stabilize it with a blob of epoxy (must be done AFTER confirmation the electrical connection is good)

Note per your other thread that you can also program your system to use a pin number to disarm it - suggest you invoke that to prevent further similar occasions.

I can probably do it for you but you'd have to mail it to me. I build SMD boards (see signature)

Superglue is not going to do anything for you.
What you might consider is, after the electrical repair is make, to stabilize it with a blob of epoxy (must be done AFTER confirmation the electrical connection is good)

Note per your other thread that you can also program your system to use a pin number to disarm it - suggest you invoke that to prevent further similar occasions.

Sounds good to me. I have a quick reference guide with some directions for using the pin but the previous owner told me he never set one up. It sounds like a pretty laborious process but I'll figure it out. Below is a pic of the problem. The battery retainer broke away from the board at the 6 o'clock position. If I hold it down the fob works. What I thought was s soldering iron with a very thin point obviously is not. If you send me your address in a PM I'll get it off to you.

Key Fob.jpg

Back