chin spoiler and fly screen

PPG has the paint for any rocket.Cane, you can carve up some styrofoam to the shape of the spioler and fiberglass over it with (epoxy) resin. You can not use ployester resin as it will eat the styrofoam. Three -four layers of mat and cloth let harden well then pour gasoline on it and the styrofoam melts away and leaves just the glass..A little body work and you have a one of chin spoiler..If I wasen't so sensatized to that stuff I'd make a few. If I mess with It now I break out in hives all over. The epoxy resin is not as bad but my Doc. says stay away from it. Its for younger people..Same thing with the fly screen. I would bet those guys made them themselves..They are very capable people.. Jack PS In case the EPA askes I didn't tell you about the gas and styrofoam...LOL

Jack:

I gotta jump in your feces a little. PPG has paint for anything, so does Ditzler or DuPont or SW or any automotive paint manufacturer so long as they have the proper formulary. The key is the formulary and to get a proper, foolproof match, it's paramount and foolproof to have a spectroscopic analysis performed and any reputable jobber can do that.

So, you have a reaction to polyester resin. I get a reaction to catalyized isocyinates, aka Imron

Flip - you're assuming that I sit up straight and have a six-pack figure. Actually I do, but I like to keep it in the fridge for a day. Best served a 38F.

The chin support does offer some interesting possibilities at directing air flow. I 'd appreciate a chromed face grill of some sort, whether or not there were functional vents behind it or not. The embellisher may serve only as an applique.

When I was a lot younger I used to compete in carving all over Canada and the United States. I used the skill when I was in the furniture business; I would get an antique, and if there was a flower or something missing I could duplicate it to the tee. Any how, I was thinking of carving one out but I would carve groves out on both side so I would be able to install some lights on each side of the chin spoiler so there be a little more use then just look good. busajack the styrofoam is a great idea that would be a lot faster to carve then wood but once you complete that you wouldn't have a template for another one. You would need to carve another one. But if you did one in wood and fiber glass over it, you can keep on makeing the same one if needed. But my wife said not until I finish our house . But maybe in the winter time if I haven't found one that I can just buy I will carve one out. Carveing one out of wood or styrofoam should be a brezz its just I have never done fiberglass.

Cane Corso:

I take it you have a Cane Corso, hence the screen name. I never knew what a Cane Corso was until last week when I read an article about one.

Back to the subject at hand. Glass is easy. Resin and mat and you can find the procedure on the internet. Just be sure to wear disposable rubber gloves, it's a skin irritant as well as a breathing irritant so a particle mask is a good idea too. Basically, you coat your mold ( wood or whatever) with release agent and begin layering saturated (with resin) glass mat on the mold in a uniform manner until the desired thickness is reached and that's it. When you graduate to a chopper gun, you just blow it on. If you ever used Bondo on a car, you are using resin without the mat.

Don't forget to allow yourself the ability to remove the mold from the cured glass. It's like pattern making with a twist.

I might make up a npattern myself and make a chin spoiler. I'm very intrigued with the spoiler.

paint

Flip...being an SW guy for nearly 20 years, dont let any dealer fool you into believing that a spectrometer reading is foolproof. I use them daily for a good foundation but in most cases, your match is as good as the color blender doing the work. SW, Dupont, PPG all the big players can, if they choose to, match just about anything.
Todd

I certainly hope your lungs look better than mine. I spent quite a few years blowing Polane-T without a supplied air respirator. That's some wicked stuff. When you have to be careful is multi-part finishes like our bikes. Older one step finishes could be matched by eye or a good paint chemist but the new finishes are exceedingly hard to get a spot on match without a spectrometer. I'm not saying it can't be done, what I am saying is that the spectrometer is a tool that facilitates the process. I can't wait for the newest generation water based finishes to take over entirely. Whats commercially acceptable in water based is non acceptable in conventional finishes. Most re-finishers I know of insist on an electronic scan. It's just a little bit more insurance rowards a happy customer. Last water borne finish I saw (on a commercial truck) looked like a tangerine.:D I thought the paint line operator was going for a vinyl look.:eek:

tausen

I thought u sounded like a painter.I agree with your statement about the spectroscops.I've never got a mix that was perfect.Always had to mess with it.And the application Being the most important..Flip, with the pearls and try coats just the angle of the gun can screw up a match,and u don't really know what u got untill the clear..Imiron was developed for truck fleets for durability.But I'ts considered antique now. I hated the stuff,couldn't buff It worth a dam too rubbery.But good for flying rocks and such. Yea they took out the lead and put in isocyinates which I think is worse..Can't get quite the iradescence you could with the lead. .Cane give the glass a try if u can carve wood u can fiberglass.U could also buy one for a hardley and widen it with glass. Jack

Flip I do have a Cane Corso I have a male and a female. But I had too put my female down a few months ago. You guy I think that resin sounds like a big mess and bad for your heath. I think when I make my wife happy and I still can't buy one. I'll carve one out of wood seal it and have some one paint my wood spoiler I don't think any one would beable to tell.

Woody Pecker......

A wooden chin spoiler would work so long as it didn't get termites.......

Heck, look at George Washington. He had wooden teeth:D

Amy and I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback for a while. It was given to us by our vet, it was a castoff. We found it a good, caring home and now we have settled down with a couple of Labs.

Quite honestly, for the longest time I never got the correlation between your screen name and what it was referring to, but now I do. Have a good one.

chin spoiler

I was able to get an email through to a Japanese rocket captain explaining the chin spoiler. It comes from BRM a custom triumph dealer. The chin spoiler sales for $417!! which is a bit high and the postage to get it here. The same goes for the rest of the body works. If it were mass produced etc I am sure the price would come down. I might pay $150 but would rather try to make one and spend $500!! (would have to do it over and over and over again) JUSt kidding.:roll:

Back