Check Engine Light after new exhaust install

zman8537

.040 Over
Ride
2014 ROADSTER
Hello,
I just can't seem to win with this bike!! I ordered and received a new CES Exhaust System and installed it tonight. Everything went well with no issues. I started it up to do the 12 minute tune and somewhere in the middle of doing the 12 minute tune, my check engine light came on. I noticed it with a couple minutes left and continued to let it run then shut it off, restarted and the check engine light is still on. Any suggestions or things that I should check? I guess I need to get one of those cables and see what is going on. To add to my bad luck. when I pulled off my seat I noticed that one of the dealers that I just took my bike to didn't put my owners manual or tool kit back under the seat!!! This is the second time that this has happened!!! I am really getting tired of the incompetence!!!!

If you have an OBDII reader, you can see what code the CEL is throwing. If you don't, stop by a local shop or parts store and ask them to read it and clear it. Does the new CES exhaust have a bung hole for the O2 sensor ? Rockets standard tune tend to be on the lean side. Did you install a new richer tune ? A Dobeck Performance AFR Plus is a simple way to control your AFR and make her run smooth and cool.

If you have an OBDII reader, you can see what code the CEL is throwing. If you don't, stop by a local shop or parts store and ask them to read it and clear it. Does the new CES exhaust have a bung hole for the O2 sensor ? Rockets standard tune tend to be on the lean side. Did you install a new richer tune ? A Dobeck Performance AFR Plus is a simple way to control your AFR and make her run smooth and cool.
I do have an OBDII reader that I use on cars so I assume it will work on my bike too? I have not put a new tune into my bike as I am a little computer illiterate and have never done anything like this, so I am kinda lost when it comes to tunes. I haven't had much luck with the dealers in the area, just to add to the frustration!!! It does have a bung hole for the O2 sensor and I reinstalled it.

Read your code with your OBDII reader. Write it down then clear it. Look up the code. Try again. Ride the bike some too. It could just be because it is a drastic change from the last time it ran.

You would think the cel woukd come on immediately if the O2 sensor was disconnected. I would guess the a/f is 15 or higher. Is there a code for too lean?

Did you forget to plug in the O2 sensor? It is easy to do.
I know that I plugged it in. I will verify later today that it is making good contact or fully plugged in but I seem to remember hearing it click. I will also plug in my OBDII reader. Where is the port that I need to plug in to??? Let me know. Thanks

Back