Cheap Rocket Stater A Myth!

Triumphtech

Standard Bore
Ride
All bikes that I have listed.
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site but have been a biker for many years. I spent fourteen years running a Suzuki Dealership and am now heading up a Triumph dealer's service department. Now that brings me to the reason I wanted to throw in my two cents worth.
The information I read in one of the threads on this site about a cheap starter motor for a Rocket 3 are not necessarily correct. I am not intending on stepping on any ones toes or anything else for that matter, but I have actually tried the starter motor replacement using the Toyota Celica starter motor and it does not work! The Toyota starter turns the wrong way! It turns clockwise while the Rocket starter turns counter clockwise! Go figure. There is also an issue with the motor's end bell position. That you can get around ,but, the rotation issue is another problem.
I would be interested in hearing from the member that posted the information on the Celica starter motors as to what he did to fix the rotation issue. I understand what it takes to reverse a DC motor, it take a brush timing change, but, as yet I do not see a good way to do that with the starter motor that I have tried the conversion with. That is what it is all about is sharing info to make our bikes run!

Rubber side down!!!

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site but have been a biker for many years. I spent fourteen years running a Suzuki Dealership and am now heading up a Triumph dealer's service department. Now that brings me to the reason I wanted to throw in my two cents worth.
The information I read in one of the threads on this site about a cheap starter motor for a Rocket 3 are not necessarily correct. I am not intending on stepping on any ones toes or anything else for that matter, but I have actually tried the starter motor replacement using the Toyota Celica starter motor and it does not work! The Toyota starter turns the wrong way! It turns clockwise while the Rocket starter turns counter clockwise! Go figure. There is also an issue with the motor's end bell position. That you can get around ,but, the rotation issue is another problem.
I would be interested in hearing from the member that posted the information on the Celica starter motors as to what he did to fix the rotation issue. I understand what it takes to reverse a DC motor, it take a brush timing change, but, as yet I do not see a good way to do that with the starter motor that I have tried the conversion with. That is what it is all about is sharing info to make our bikes run!

Rubber side down!!!
Did you make the same mistake I did, and ordered the first one he posted?

On the 2nd or 3rd page he corrected himself.

the number u want is 17610. u use the motor section. if u have the space u can leave the starter in place and remove the small long bolts to replace motor section.
it made a world of difference when i added another neg cable and then i put the other starter on no more problems.;)

ps i tried a couple of toy starters but they did not line up right.

Hi Everyone,

Rubber side down!!!
Thanks for the updates on this starter subject. I tried all the numbers that were listed in the first thread. They all came down to two different starters both with the same motor. Thanks for the new part number, I will check that one and see what I can do with it.
I have a friend that is a motor/generator expert. He thinks there is a way to reverse the motor rotation. I am going to take the motors to him this Saturday and see if that is possible. I had a pretty acceptable conversion with the motor I used except for the reversed rotation issue. If, we can get the rotation right I would be OK with using the one I already put together.

Thanks again for the input!!!

Back