Carpenter Sidewinder "fits" on an 05. Anybody want to trade for forward controls?

Dale914

.020 Over
Ride
05 Red Rocket
So I checked with Carpenter before ordering to make sure that the sidewinder would fit on my 05, and "they do". I was at first confused on the layout of the collector, then became less of an idiot and found that if I bent the rear brake reservoir, then they would clear each other, but that I had to remove the top and back of the brake fluid reservoir cover. Annnnnnnnnd with the forward controls, my legs only want to rest on the back header, where on the later mid controls bike, the headers/legs and brake controls have loads of clearance.... So Question 1: am I overlooking something stupid and need to be less dumb and do something simple/different?
Question 2: does anybody with later mid controls want to trade for the earlier forward controls? I was happy with them until this.
Question 3 @Idaho Red Rocket 3 (this is for you and everyone) programmed my ECU with 3 k&n's, no cats, triple tors, and it was just a touch rich (assumed from cooler pipes and back fire pops) and speculated that I might not need a new tune if I went to headers, well... it ran very well, maybe more sensitive to throttle which could be.... Because more power... The pipes put out heat and they still popped on deceleration, but, think I need a new tune? Seems to run well, sounds good... They seem to have a slight amber discoloration after one ride.
I called up Carpenter and left a message about question 1, but aside from the controls/collector, header/leg, I'm thrilled.
And no, I didn't ride in flip flops.

Attachments

• 0322211802a.jpg
    0322211802a.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 0322211837a_HDR.jpg
    0322211837a_HDR.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 0322211828a.jpg
    0322211828a.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 31
Looks a little on the snugly side, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that I have no clue about what's going on

Attachments

• 0322211802b.jpg
    0322211802b.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 17
Had to space out the brake cylinder on my 05 to work with the Zard exhaust,seems they’re all designed to work with the slightly more rearward Roadster footrest setup.

With my new Viking Exhaust 1 3/4 header I had to put a very slight bend on my rear brake master cylinder mount as well. Plenty of clearance with my leg.

My bike has the more forward controls and the Roadsters have the more rearward controls.

20210306_140618.jpg

With my new Viking Exhaust 1 3/4 header I had to put a very slight bend on my rear brake master cylinder mount as well. Plenty of clearance with my leg.

My bike has the more forward controls and the Roadsters have the more rearward controls.

20210306_140618.jpg
Just the guy I wanted to hear from! I was wondering how much it needed a tune, but in looking down the TORs, they don't even seem to have any baffles in their straight pipes. Looks like 3 straight tubes. I'll take it for another ride tonight. Bill, did you need a new tune?

Just the guy I wanted to hear from! I was wondering how much it needed a tune, but in looking down the TORs, they don't even seem to have any baffles in their straight pipes. Looks like 3 straight tubes. I'll take it for another ride tonight. Bill, did you need a new tune?

It runs well with my Dobeck Performance AFR Plus controlling the AFR. Yes I want to get it to Nels in Kirkland for a complete dyno tune. But Ok to ride for now. No heat at all on my leg.

@RocketmanBristol any pointers on that beyond just bending the mounted out? I'm hesitant to push too much and snap them off
Just use d a few stainless washers and slightly longer bolts to get the necessary clearance,it’s still tight but and I wrapped the plastic master cylinder in some exhaust bandage just as a precaution!

20210306_140618.jpg
Is there a head shield that fits on to those headers?

Back