California Scientific Windshield Review

UPDATE: My windshield developed a crack on the lower right screw during a ride last week. Looking at their website there is a 3 month replacement window for warranty. Fortunately for me, I was within a few days of that. However, they have been completely unresponsive to two I've sent since last Monday. Hopefully they will do right by me as a customer.

UPDATE: My windshield developed a crack on the lower right screw during a ride last week. Looking at their website there is a 3 month replacement window for warranty. Fortunately for me, I was within a few days of that. However, they have been completely unresponsive to two I've sent since last Monday. Hopefully they will do right by me as a customer.
😡😡😡

My experience with the Cal Sci windscreen has been... well... horrible.

It sounded, from the web site, like they know what they were doing. Order the tinted one.
A few problems getting it mounted due to crappy well nuts. Finally took out the little brass dohickey, trimmed off the rubber part, and mounted with a regular nut. Used the same tightness as recommended in the instructions.
Thing shook like crazy.. even at 40mph. It developed a crack from the middle opening to a mount hole.
Got in touch with Cal Sci. Sent him pictures and videos of the flex in the windscreen. He made comment that other Rocket 3 windscreens had been cracking.
He sent a replacement (as per his "warranty" on the web site.
Asked him if I should use the same mounting technique (as he did not send replacement well nuts) and he said "Mount it however you like, but be careful. You only get one replacement". OoooKaaaayyyyy...

So, this time I tightened up the mounting screws a bit more.. and it didn't shake as much. Great!!
Went mabye a thousand miles, and then it cracked. Same place as the first one. Sent him a text asking for a refund on what I considered to be a defective product. Crickets..

Got a MadStad windscreen from a forum member here. Works great, looks good, doesn't shake much and hasn't cracked.

So.. in my opinion. Stay away from Cal Sci.

My experience with the Cal Sci windscreen has been... well... horrible.

It sounded, from the web site, like they know what they were doing. Order the tinted one.
A few problems getting it mounted due to crappy well nuts. Finally took out the little brass dohickey, trimmed off the rubber part, and mounted with a regular nut. Used the same tightness as recommended in the instructions.
Thing shook like crazy.. even at 40mph. It developed a crack from the middle opening to a mount hole.
Got in touch with Cal Sci. Sent him pictures and videos of the flex in the windscreen. He made comment that other Rocket 3 windscreens had been cracking.
He sent a replacement (as per his "warranty" on the web site.
Asked him if I should use the same mounting technique (as he did not send replacement well nuts) and he said "Mount it however you like, but be careful. You only get one replacement". OoooKaaaayyyyy...

So, this time I tightened up the mounting screws a bit more.. and it didn't shake as much. Great!!
Went mabye a thousand miles, and then it cracked. Same place as the first one. Sent him a text asking for a refund on what I considered to be a defective product. Crickets..

Got a MadStad windscreen from a forum member here. Works great, looks good, doesn't shake much and hasn't cracked.

So.. in my opinion. Stay away from Cal Sci.
I too ordered the Madstad last week. Looks solid. And pics.
Let us know how it protects from wind.
Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
I too ordered the Madstad last week. Looks solid. And pics.
Let us know how it protects from wind.
Thanks for the info!

The Madstad has a bit of wobble. Very slight, and from the adjustable mounting hardware. I don't even notice it when I ride.
Wind protection is good. At least as good as the Cal Sci.
I don't have any good pictures.. just this one which is a screen shot of a video.
Bike is in the shop right now.. (another story for another time), but I will try to remember to get pictures when I get it back!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 08-00-00 Facebook.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 08-00-00 Facebook.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 30
The Madstad has a bit of wobble. Very slight, and from the adjustable mounting hardware. I don't even notice it when I ride.
Wind protection is good. At least as good as the Cal Sci.
I don't have any good pictures.. just this one which is a screen shot of a video.
Bike is in the shop right now.. (another story for another time), but I will try to remember to get pictures when I get it back!
Surprised to hear the hardware wobbles. I can understand a little flexing of shield from wind. Everything snugged tight I assume.
That shield looks good, smaller screen in appearance. I opted for the tallest. Wanting serious hwy protection.
Good luck with the bike!

I have used the Cal Sci windshield for over a year no with no problems. Plus ti my eye it fits in with the lines of the bike the best. The Madstad looks very similar and has more options from what I can see.

Surprised to hear the hardware wobbles. I can understand a little flexing of shield from wind. Everything snugged tight I assume.
That shield looks good, smaller screen in appearance. I opted for the tallest. Wanting serious hwy protection.
Good luck with the bike!
The "wobble" is very slight. Caused by the little bit of play in the tilt adjust pin when it locks to the hole. Just mentioned so nobody expected "rock solid". I have the 20" and it will adjust over a range of 2 inches. There is also the tilt adjustment. I haven't fiddled with either one very much.

I have used the Cal Sci windshield for over a year no with no problems. Plus ti my eye it fits in with the lines of the bike the best. The Madstad looks very similar and has more options from what I can see.
I'm glad it worked out for you! Did you get the tinted or the clear?

Back