Cactus final drive drive shaft

Aivmid

Supercharged
Ride
2004 Standard
I had my rear tyre changed yesterday and told them (after reading here) that I wanted the drive shaft pulled out and greased. Looks like I'm the only one who ever owned this bike who asked for that...my drive shaft is cactus. Heaps of metal shavings and rust. The mechanic couldn't get the front end out anyway because he says he needed triumph specific tools. Anyone got any idea what this episode is likely to cost me? My bikes only just done 37000km..

Removing the driveshaft requires removing the swingarm. No Triumph-specific tools required unless you consider crown nut sockets something manufacturer specific.
Ebay USA has several driveshafts rangine from under USD $90 to $325. Labor is roughly 3-4 hours at dealership rates. Less if you know what you are doing.

I hope this helps.

well I would say you missed lubricating about 3 times so far. If done when changing the tire or once a year you only have to lubricate the rear spline. This means you only have to drop the rear differential. The problem here is both your differential splines and drive shaft slines might have been worn. This could be pricey unless you can find low mileage used parts.

There is a post on here somewhere that mentions exactly the same thing as your description. .. The rust was actually dried grease I think.... Best do some searching on this site to find the thread.
Sucks if it is screwed though, TC might have the parts.

well I would say you missed lubricating about 3 times so far. If done when changing the tire or once a year you only have to lubricate the rear spline. This means you only have to drop the rear differential. The problem here is both your differential splines and drive shaft slines might have been worn. This could be pricey unless you can find low mileage used parts.

Ok Scott. When I changed my Tyre I greased (molly 60) the diff when the wheel was off. So is greasing the driveshaft different to what I did? I got to kjow so im no time faced with this issue in the future.

Last edited:
I had my rear tyre changed yesterday and told them (after reading here) that I wanted the drive shaft pulled out and greased. Looks like I'm the only one who ever owned this bike who asked for that...my drive shaft is cactus. Heaps of metal shavings and rust. The mechanic couldn't get the front end out anyway because he says he needed triumph specific tools. Anyone got any idea what this episode is likely to cost me? My bikes only just done 37000km..

Been down this road mate. Triumph Aust replaced mine free of charge after I was out of warranty and with a lot more k's on it than your bike. Rusty at Team Moto checked every 'notification' and 'service alert' that Triumph have ever sent .. never advised Dealers to lubricate the driveshaft , ever. Sing out if you want the contact details for 'our man' at Triumph Aust warranty section.

Ok Scott. When I changed my Tyre I greased (molly 60) the diff when the wheel was off. So is greasing the driveshaft different to what I did? I got to kjow so im no time faced with this issue in yge future.
I grease both when I pull it the rear spline of the drive shaft and the internal splines in the differential. Plus I fill the bottom of the spline cup in the differential. This might be overkill but I have over 60,000 hard miles on my original unit and have not had a problem. Of course this might also be from nuying a differential and drive shaft to keep on the shelf in case I ever have problems and find a weak link :)

I used to use moly 60 also which is good stuff But I lucked out and got a tub of MolyKote from Boeing. Good enough for aircraft = good enough for the Millennium Falcon :D

[quote="Mittzy, post: 220062, member: 3630" TC might have the parts.[/quote]

I do have a spare diff and drive-shaft . Be happy to loan it to keep someone on the road while they wait for parts to get here .. but they aren't for sale.

[quote="Mittzy, post: 220062, member: 3630" TC might have the parts.

I do have a spare diff and drive-shaft . Be happy to loan it to keep someone on the road while they wait for parts to get here .. but they aren't for sale.[/quote]

does that u joint have a grease zerk? does it have inside or outside clips. i guess what i mean is it replaceable?

I do have a spare diff and drive-shaft . Be happy to loan it to keep someone on the road while they wait for parts to get here .. but they aren't for sale.

does that u joint have a grease zerk? does it have inside or outside clips. i guess what i mean is it replaceable?[/quote]

No grease nipples. Not replaceable = a few owners have tried to find replacement parts, but don't know anyone who's managed to......... searched thru various manufacturers' catalogues myself.... no joy....

Back